Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Manual Transmission Oil Change Instructions

• Admin
Are you sure it is not a triple square?

post-1-1225754309_thumb.jpg

Hmm. Let me double check. I will update this posting tomorrow.

It's not a triple square as well. Is it the same wrench for Euro or ROW version 911? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

As far as I know US/Canada and RoW are the same either triple square or allen head.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a triple square as well. Is it the same wrench for Euro or ROW version 911? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

As far as I know US/Canada and RoW are the same either triple square or allen head.

Is there a chance is that my fill plug is the tamper proof type? Do I need to purchase a tamper proof toll like the on in the link below?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...l_pg1.htm#item2

Thanks!

wrong tool, that is for the Engine Oil drain plug not transmission.

Is there a chance is that my fill plug is the tamper proof type? Do I need to purchase a tamper proof toll like the on in the link below?

Thanks!

This seems a bit of a dumb question, but... Anyone know if Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is approved? I don't see any other 75W-90 on the Mobil website and its data sheet mentions a GI-5 rating, though I'm wondering if this is a typo. My gut says the Mobile 1 75W-90 is Porsche approved, but looking for more comfort than gut feeling. Oh, and the car, in my case is an 04 GT3... no idea what differences are between my LSD and other models is.

Dave, you absolutely do NOT want to use the Mobil 1 75w90 that you find at your local auto parts stores!! That fluid is NOT Porsche approved!

The one you want is Mobil Delvac 75w-90 which is a heavy shockproof gear oil for industrial and military applications. It's also the factory fill for the Porsche Cup cars. No auto parts store sell this, you need to order it online. Google for it.

wrong tool, that is for the Engine Oil drain plug not transmission.

Thanks!

I did a closer look and now pretty sure that it needs an allen wrench though my metric allen wrench is either too big or too small. Is there a chance that my drain and fill plug is using English not Metric? Thank you!

Edited by Porsche_911

• 2 months later...

When taking off the drain plug, has anyone ever heard a sucking sound like the tranny was under vacuum? Is there a vent somewhere that might be plugged.... seemed wierd to me. Ideas?

OH...

good thread on the oils to use. I will print it out and take it with to the store...

Thanks

I did a closer look and now pretty sure that it needs an allen wrench though my metric allen wrench is either too big or too small. Is there a chance that my drain and fill plug is using English not Metric? Thank you!

My guess is that there is dirt in the socket so the 10mm allen wont go in the hole. Try and use a very small screw driver and clean the hole out.. be careful none of the dirt gets in your eyes.. that sucks!

the allen wrench should go really deep into the plug also, just so you know....

• 1 month later...
This seems a bit of a dumb question, but... Anyone know if Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 is approved? I don't see any other 75W-90 on the Mobil website and its data sheet mentions a GI-5 rating, though I'm wondering if this is a typo. My gut says the Mobile 1 75W-90 is Porsche approved, but looking for more comfort than gut feeling. Oh, and the car, in my case is an 04 GT3... no idea what differences are between my LSD and other models is.

Dave, you absolutely do NOT want to use the Mobil 1 75w90 that you find at your local auto parts stores!! That fluid is NOT Porsche approved!

The one you want is Mobil Delvac 75w-90 which is a heavy shockproof gear oil for industrial and military applications. It's also the factory fill for the Porsche Cup cars. No auto parts store sell this, you need to order it online. Google for it.

The Mobil Delvac 75W-90 is far superior to the factory approved Shell oil (999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle)) that some dealers may stock. I just had a clutch replacement on my 05 C2S, and the dealer changed the transmission oil upon my request. They used the approved Shell oil, and I noticed that shifting was noticeably worse after the service, especially when shifting into the lower gears when cold. After a couple of weeks of rough shifting (the synchros were definitely unhappy) and a lot of online research, I came upon the Mobil Delvac 75W-90, which is purported to be the factory fill, and had ordered a gallon. After the oil replacement, my car now shifts like new, with only minimal occasional notchiness when cold, and effortless when warmed up.

For you folks in California...there's a Mobil distributor in Lodi Calif. (Google Vine and Sons) who carries the Mobil Delvac 75W-90 gear oil that is referenced in this discussion thread. It's a LOT cheaper than what Lufkin charges at around $42 a gallon (which I paid before I found Vine and Solns).....I think here it's about $26 a gallon and because you need about 4.2 litres, you have to buy two gallons.

If there's someone in the Sacramento or surrounding area who needs a little extra for the front differential (AWD) I would be willing to give you what you might need so that you don't have to buy two gallons. I won't have to change mine again in my lifetime.

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:

3-4 liters 999 917 546 00 (Shell) Shell Transaxle (75W-90) or Mobil Mobilube PTX (75W-90)

Approved Manual Transmission Oils

000 043 204 20 Mobil (Mobilube PTX) - 20 liter container

000 043 204 19 Shell (Transaxle) - 20 liter container

999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle) - 1 liter container

Note: All are synthetic GL4 and GL5 rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. GL oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability.

Tools you will need:

Tire ramps or jack

17 mm allen for the fill plug

16 mm triple square with a hole in the middle for the drain plug

Note: Most later cars have an 10 mm allen type plugs - we recommend checking before you start.

3 quart oil catch pan

Torque wrench (optional)

Drain Transmission Oil

Transmission oil should be changed when the engine/transmission has reached normal operating temperature. CAUTION - oil will be hot, take adequate precautions to avoid being burned.

1. Use ramps or jack up the vehicle at the points provided.
  2. Remove underside panels to access the transmission. (Boxster owners you need to loosen the diagonal braces and then remove the transverse strut member. A little more work on a Boxster. When you put them back they need to have the bolts torqued to 48 ft lbs. (65 nm). See images Image 1 Image 2 Image 3 Image 4 Image 5 ) (images courtesy of scherb)
  3. Place oil collection pan under the transmission (at least 9 quarts). Always dispose of the waste oil in accordance with local legal requirements.
  4. Unscrew oil filler screw (1).
  5. Unscrew oil drain screw (2) and drain transmission oil.
  6. Wait about 20 minutes for all the old oil to drain.
    post-2-1132092160.gif

Fill Transmission Oil

1. Clean oil drain and oil filler screw.
  2. Screw in oil drain screw. Tightening torque: 22 ft-lb.
  3. Fill with gear oil up to the bottom edge of the oil filler opening.
  4. Screw in oil filler screw. Tightening torque: 22 ft-lb.
  5. Install underside panels.

Model/Capacity (approx.)

Manual Transmission

911 Carrera (G96/00) - 2.7 liters

911 Carrera 4 (G96/30) - 2.7 liters

GT3 - 3.3 liters

Boxster (G86/00) - 2.25 liters

Turbo - 3.0 (to 3.8) liters

Front-axle Final Drive

911 Carrera 4 (Z96/00) - 1.5 liters

Turbo - 1.5 liters

Anybody need a 17 mm allen socket?

I ordered from Sears before checking the fill plug. Both of my plugs are 10 mm allen (2002 911 TT)

• Admin
Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:

3-4 liters 999 917 546 00 (Shell) Shell Transaxle (75W-90) or Mobil Mobilube PTX (75W-90)

Approved Manual Transmission Oils

000 043 204 20 Mobil (Mobilube PTX) - 20 liter container

000 043 204 19 Shell (Transaxle) - 20 liter container

999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle) - 1 liter container

Note: All are synthetic GL4 and GL5 rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. GL oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability.

Tools you will need:

Tire ramps or jack

17 mm allen for the fill plug

16 mm triple square with a hole in the middle for the drain plug

Note: Most later cars have an 10 mm allen type plugs - we recommend checking before you start.

3 quart oil catch pan

Torque wrench (optional)

Drain Transmission Oil

Transmission oil should be changed when the engine/transmission has reached normal operating temperature. CAUTION - oil will be hot, take adequate precautions to avoid being burned.

1. Use ramps or jack up the vehicle at the points provided.
  2. Remove underside panels to access the transmission. (Boxster owners you need to loosen the diagonal braces and then remove the transverse strut member. A little more work on a Boxster. When you put them back they need to have the bolts torqued to 48 ft lbs. (65 nm). See images Image 1 Image 2 Image 3 Image 4 Image 5 ) (images courtesy of scherb)
  3. Place oil collection pan under the transmission (at least 9 quarts). Always dispose of the waste oil in accordance with local legal requirements.
  4. Unscrew oil filler screw (1).
  5. Unscrew oil drain screw (2) and drain transmission oil.
  6. Wait about 20 minutes for all the old oil to drain.
    post-2-1132092160.gif

Fill Transmission Oil

1. Clean oil drain and oil filler screw.
  2. Screw in oil drain screw. Tightening torque: 22 ft-lb.
  3. Fill with gear oil up to the bottom edge of the oil filler opening.
  4. Screw in oil filler screw. Tightening torque: 22 ft-lb.
  5. Install underside panels.

Model/Capacity (approx.)

Manual Transmission

911 Carrera (G96/00) - 2.7 liters

911 Carrera 4 (G96/30) - 2.7 liters

GT3 - 3.3 liters

Boxster (G86/00) - 2.25 liters

Turbo - 3.0 (to 3.8) liters

Front-axle Final Drive

911 Carrera 4 (Z96/00) - 1.5 liters

Turbo - 1.5 liters

Anybody need a 17 mm allen socket?

I ordered from Sears before checking the fill plug. Both of my plugs are 10 mm allen (2002 911 TT)

Note: Most later cars have an 10 mm allen type plugs - we recommend checking before you start. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone have experience with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90? It's not on 'the list' but I've heard some good things about it.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Amsoil has done extensive studies on Gear Oil and the attached link to the Amsoil white paper is certainly worthy of review:

http://www.synpsg.com/uploads/g2457_Gear_Lube_Whitepaper.pdf

The summary of Gear Oils is provided on Page 19 and published for all manufacturers to see (take a look at Royal Purple and Lucas...ouch!). Mobil1 is the second best performing gear lube according to a summary of industry recognized tests provided (Amsoil finished nearly twice as best as the second place gear lube).

Amsoil is not on the approved Porsche list and I recommend that you research data to make your best decision in regard to lubricants. I have used only 5W-40 European Blend in each of my Porsche's since the first oil changes. I've done all the testing through Oil Analyzers and Blackstone Laboratories with both Mobil1 and Amsoil. The results are very differentiated and thus has created a performance bias with me to use Amsoil. I use Amsoil SVG in my Boxster transmission and the differentials in both Cayennes. While I consider myself a lubrication SME, just about everyone is and has a strong opinion. I suggest everyone make their best decision based on the data available. There are several excellent lubricants on the market.

Some people have not looked fondly on the Amsoil business model. It is solid, as are there products. For those who continually discount Amsoil products, Amsoil brought the first approved Synthetic oil to the US market for automotive use in 1972. Mobil1 followed in 1976. Amsoil has stayed true to their business model, product quality, and dealers. Mobil1, which has an excellent product, is commercialized to a much great extend than Amsoil will ever be.

All the best,

Bill :beer:

Edited by Bill_SoCal

• 3 months later...

So, what was the conclusion, do the 996's take GL4 or GL5? The oils are very different. From many years of experience with Alfa Romeo and BMW cars, I have come to know that it is very important in making the distinction between the two types for your particular application.

Then, what about the differential oil? I would assume this is a GL5 oil, since it is purely a differential and not a transaxle, but I can't find any conclusive information, even from the my owner's manual, it doesn't specify.

• Admin
So, what was the conclusion, do the 996's take GL4 or GL5? The oils are very different. From many years of experience with Alfa Romeo and BMW cars, I have come to know that it is very important in making the distinction between the two types for your particular application.

Then, what about the differential oil? I would assume this is a GL5 oil, since it is purely a differential and not a transaxle, but I can't find any conclusive information, even from the my owner's manual, it doesn't specify.

From the first post and Porsche's service manaul - "Note: All are synthetic GL4 and GL5 rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. GL oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability."

• 1 year later...

Because technology keeps changing, I couldn't find Mobil Mobilube PTX 75W90.

I have to think that maybe the Mobil Synthetic Gear Lubricant "LS" 75W90 might

have replaced it. Anyway that is what is going in the transmission on the P-car.

Quote "Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W90 exceeds the performance requirements of API

Service GL-5".

If I am making a mistake, please let me know as I am going to change the oil in the next couple days.

I don't track the 996, just take it easy shifting between 4 and 5K. Should be ok.

If you haven't changed transmission oil before, don't forget the inexpensive pump adapter.

What I am planning on doing is put the car up on four level jack stands to drain and fill.

• Moderators

Again, for reasons known only to them, Porsche tends to use weird rated gear oils. The OEM fill containers and tech sheets bear no "GL" ratings at all. When we last polled the larger and more reputable gear oil manufacturer's (not the blenders), most said they have "no direct match" of the OEM gear oils, but felt they had "something suitable that should work"..........right.

Considering how much these gear boxes cost, and that we have swapped out a lot of aftermarket gear oils for the OEM brew and found quieter transmissions that shifted better according to their owners, we will stay with the OEM fill. Yes, it cost a bit more, but it appears to do the job well.

Edited by JFP in PA

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been running redline 75-90NS in my 996 for 85K miles and it has worked very well, this is what redline recommended, it was definite improvement over swepco, these thngs are different form my 944 transaxles where swepco was the way. On the p-car website in the diy on this he says these transmissions "do not like" to be filled to the fill hole, rather with the measured amount, 2.7 liters. I'm to go with that on next change, figuring if you do fill with the amount Porsche calls for it is not filled to the fill hole.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed that only one person mentioned replacing the aluminum washers - I thought regardless they should always be replaced (learned the hard way once changing oil on a different car that leaked, always change them now. But I looked at pelican parts, Suncoast porsche, etc and have not found the washers. I DID order the Mobil Delvac 75w90. Should I change it and not worry about the washers? (Just re-use?) I suppose the viscosity is higher, maybe just thicker means less likely to leak?

BTW doing this on a 2003tt, are the drain/fill plugs the same (simular) 10mm alen, etc?)

Thank you in advanced for your help!