Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Manual Transmission Oil Change Instructions

The hand pump I bought is not strong enough to pump the fluid into the transmission. I went back to the auto store, described my problem, and they couldn't help. They said I needed a sump pump.

Is there any way I can access the transmission from above?

If not, is there a pump I can buy online?

I'm kind of stranded without my car and I'm freaking out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hand pump I bought is not strong enough to pump the fluid into the transmission. I went back to the auto store, described my problem, and they couldn't help. They said I needed a sump pump.

Is there any way I can access the transmission from above?

If not, is there a pump I can buy online?

I'm kind of stranded without my car and I'm freaking out!

This is the pump I use: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC

Works great to extract fluids as well as pump them in. I first bought it for an AUdi I owned, been working pretty well for years.

• 1 year later...

2000 C2 with 60k miles, manual tranny. Local porsche dealer says not to use synthetic oil, use GL5; whereas renntech DIY notes synthetic. Then, one of the older posts warns not to use 75w90 from car parts store because need to use mobil DELVAC, which normally can't be bought from them and need to order it. Can you clarify? Thanks.

• Moderators

2000 C2 with 60k miles, manual tranny. Local porsche dealer says not to use synthetic oil, use GL5; whereas renntech DIY notes synthetic. Then, one of the older posts warns not to use 75w90 from car parts store because need to use mobil DELVAC, which normally can't be bought from them and need to order it. Can you clarify? Thanks.

I hate to tell your local dealer this, but the OEM fill was a full synthetic product produced especially for Porsche to their specs, which because it is so unusual, had no GL rating. The OEM product is also the only product you should be using

Amazing because I got same answer for non synthetic oil from both central VA porsche dealers. Last year I used mobil synthetic 75w90 and was rethinking that maybe I should flush again. Owners manual obviously incomplete when it simply refers to 75w90, no mention of synthetic or not. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

2005 GT3

Vehicle/Transmission G96/90

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil LS 75W-90

(http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Fully_Synthetic_Gear_Lube_75W-90LS.aspx)

Is this gear oil sufficient for track application or are Limited Slip additives required?

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid." (Mobil1.com)

Thanks,

David

• Moderators

2005 GT3

(http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Fully_Synthetic_Gear_Lube_75W-90LS.aspx)

Is this gear oil sufficient for track application or are Limited Slip additives required?

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid." (Mobil1.com)

Thanks,

David

Last time I checked, this was the list of approved gear oils:

Approved Manual Transmission Oils

000 043 204 20 Mobil (Mobilube PTX) - 20 liter container

000 043 204 19 Shell (Transaxle) - 20 liter container

999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle) - 1 liter container

2005 GT3

(http://www.mobiloil....e_75W-90LS.aspx)

I am having trouble locating:

(Loren, Any other products to consider? Car 80% tracked)

Best Regards,

David

• Admin

2005 GT3

(http://www.mobiloil....e_75W-90LS.aspx)

I am having trouble locating:

(Loren, Any other products to consider? Car 80% tracked)

Best Regards,

David

Mobil Delvac 75W-90 gear lube

"The replacement for the Mobilube 75W-90 SHC gear lube. Delvac has been market name used in USA towards the semi/fleet maintenance market segment.

Original fill in 996/997 GT3 and Cup cars. Works well in all 901, 915, G50, G96 gearboxes. Used extensively in Porsche Motorsport products in every grueling test there can be LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. Works in cars with or without (LSD) limited slip differentials."

From the RennTech.org Amazon Store

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Manual Transmission Oil Change Instructions

Loren

By Loren

How to change your manual transmission oil
Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers.

Parts you will need:
3-4 liters 999 917 546 00 (Shell) Shell Transaxle (75W-90) or Mobil Mobilube PTX (75W-90)

Note: All are synthetic GL4 and GL5 rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. GL oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability.

Hi Porsche community,

Here's an update on the transmission oil for the US market. 

Shell Transaxle Oil 75W-90 is now called Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90. 

Fluid Part number 999 917 546 00 has been updated to 000 043 305 49

4_SPIRAX_S5_ATE_75W-90.pdf

Now I have 2 questions for you all regarding Manual Transmission Fluid / Rear Differential Fluid for my manual 2004 996 Carrera 2

It seems that the 1 Liter Porsche container 999 917 546 00 is the Shell Product in the USA. Suncoast Porsche sells both the Porsche oil (which should now be the Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90) and the Mobil Mobil Mobilube PTX(75W-90) which is originally intended for European markets. They are roughly the same cost.

1. Is the Mobil Mobilube PTX(75W-90) preferred and superior over the Shell(75W-90) Porsche part # 999 917 546 00?

2. When I called Suncoast Porsche they said that Mobil 1 Delvac 75W-90 and Mobil Mobilube PTX (75W-90) should be almost the same. But when searching through many 996 transmission fluid forums, it seems that Mobil 1 Delvac(75W-90) is better for track use and the Mobil Mobilube PTX (75W-90)/or Shell(75w90) is better for shifting when gearbox is cold. Since I don't track my car, I am leaning toward this fluid for extra protection during cold starts.

Now I would need 2.7 liters for the Transmission/Rear Differential.

I could buy 3 liters of Mobil Mobilube PTX(75W-90) or the Porsche 999 917 546 00 Shell(75W-90) for a total of $120 + tax and shipping. Or I could buy the Mobil 1 Delvac(75W-90) which is sold in 1 gallon for $55.

Money wise Delvac wins. But the main thing is I want to put the best product in for the vehicle and my usage, money aside. 

Loren and others, how do you feel about Mobil 1 Delvac (75W-90) for street use on my G96/01 transmission? My gut always tells me to stick with Porsche part 999 917 546 00(Shell) or maybe the Mobil Mobil Mobilube PTX(75W-90). I would like to here the Porsche communities arguments for and against. 

Best Regards,

Leonidas

Edited by leonidasb22
added new part number

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

My C4S 2002 equipped with a 6 speeds MT is now ready for a transmission and differential oil change.
That's something I want to do by myself and Im trying to gather all parts needed before beginning the work.

I already choose the oil which will be the Porsche fluid 000-043-305-49 75w90 grade oil that everyone seems to appreaciate.
My car is not equipped with an LSD and dont see track except for PCA events once in awhile so it seems the way to go.
Dealer was asking 55$ Cdn per lts but figured out they could sell me bulk oil they buy in drums for 42$ lts instead.

My question is about the drain plugs for the transmission/rear diff and the front differential.
I want to have spares in case I damage the original ones...

For the front diff here's what I found:
N 016 161 1 Screw plug M18x1.5 (Fill plug)
900 124 025 02 Screw plug M18x1.5PM (Drain plug
)

It seems that there is no sealing ring on theses drain plug can someone confirm this?

For the transmission and rear diff:
900 219 001 02 Screw plug M22x1.5
900 123 118 30 Sealing ring

This seems to be the oil fill plug only and cant find any P/N for the drain plug. Are they both the same? On the technical drawing I can see the quantity required is only 1 for theses P/N.
Please see attached drawing:

transmission_drain_plug_pn_33f0d1e559cee
front_axel_final_drive_pn_7b61c82dbc1064
See Items 1 and 9

Any help would be really appreaciated
Thanks
Hugo