Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3rd Radiator Install Instructions

blinkwatt,

The early 986 cars don't have the hole in the bumper but they do have a cutout. You can cut it yourself. See here:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showfla...rt=all&vc=1

I'm in no way skilled to cut out the bumper...especially after I just had it refinished.

I'm just looking for that extra cooling during spirited drives.

Edited by blinkwatt

• Admin
1. As a normal Tiptronic cooler - in this case the hoses cool the Tip transmission.

I wonder what the difference between the radiator from the 3rd radiator(from the kit) and the tiptronic radiator is,is it strictly the plumbing?

The only difference is the hoses and their routing.

• 9 months later...

after doing the 3rd radiator on my '99 996 i find that i keep having to fill coolant nearly everyday yet i never see water stain on the floor. i did see stains on the pluming under the motor, but i never see it drip. i fill maybe about 10 ounces a day. not only that but my temps have not gone down, as a matter of fact they went up it seems. on a typical california day now of 95 degrees outside my car can run as hot as the end of the 0 of the 180 mark on the temp gauge. does anyone have any recommendations before i switch back to the original setup? my bumper is open in the front and vented on top gt2 style.

after doing the 3rd radiator on my '99 996 i find that i keep having to fill coolant nearly everyday yet i never see water stain on the floor. i did see stains on the pluming under the motor, but i never see it drip.

You might have air in the system, in which case the pressure relief system is opening and letting some coolant out. You might try removing all of the air from the system before making any radical changes.

You might have air in the system, in which case the pressure relief system is opening and letting some coolant out. You might try removing all of the air from the system before making any radical changes.

i leave the pin flat down when i drive, should i be keeping it up?

also i took it to the dealer and they even flushed the system and refilled it with the vacuum method and it still looses about a liter a day. driving.

Edited by ERIKAZRA

• 2 weeks later...

still leaking but this time i got to see it...the cap on the expansion tank lets off coolant when its hot i guess because it is on very tight. is it a bad cap or are they supposed to do that at thigh pressure? that would mean the problem is somewhere else.

is it a bad cap or are they supposed to do that at thigh pressure?

The cap has been updated since your car was new. Check the last two digits of the part number printed on the cap.

my cap end with 02.

more water problems now.... hoses are popping off. i guess too much pressure? i'm removing my 3rd radiator and going back to stock form. its ridiculous but i cant be without a car and loose more work days because of it.

-------

ok i switched the water pump again and that seemed to solve the hoses popping off but i think i need a new expansion tank as the coolant just pours out from it when there is pressure...a mechanic told me that the expansion tank is probably cross-threaded and that screws up any new cap that goes on it... we'll see

Edited by ERIKAZRA

• 4 years later...

Gentlemen

I have a related question to this install.

I have a GT3 RS front bumper. The one with 3 cutouts ABOVE where the centre radiator would fit.

I notice that cars with the centre radiator have outlets cut at the BOTTOM of the bumper. I guess given the angle of the radiator when installed that this is to vent the air out of the bumper enclosure.

My question is this.

Do you think it would work for me if I installed the 3rd radiator and DID NOT cut out the bottom of the bumper.

Car in question is a 2002 996 C2.

Thanks in advance

karl

• Admin

Gentlemen

I have a related question to this install.

I have a GT3 RS front bumper. The one with 3 cutouts ABOVE where the centre radiator would fit.

I notice that cars with the centre radiator have outlets cut at the BOTTOM of the bumper. I guess given the angle of the radiator when installed that this is to vent the air out of the bumper enclosure.

My question is this.

Do you think it would work for me if I installed the 3rd radiator and DID NOT cut out the bottom of the bumper.

Car in question is a 2002 996 C2.

Thanks in advance

karl

If you install per my instructions (in the DIY) you will be fine.

Hi Loren

Thanks for the response.

Not doubting at all what you are saying but I do not have the cutouts per the picture attached.

Apologies but I used the picture from your DIY and put a red rectangle over what I am referring to.

I am really not sure what the effect would be if I did or did not have these cutouts.

Thanks in advance and regards

Karl

post-75904-0-78675300-1375672018_thumb.j
Edited by Karl996

• 2 months later...

Loren

Apologies for the very very delayed reply.

As always thanks a million. I researched some more after what you told me and realised there are different shrouds depending on which way the radiator is positioned and which bumper.

In the interim I've cleaned out the radiators, put the bumper back on and installed my ROW M030 suspension.

Not I will have to figure out the correct shroud.