Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Tank & Rattles

My dealer indicated that the coolant tank in my 99' C2 has a slight leak at the seam. I also have a couple of rattles in the car.

Questions:

1) I have yet to see any evidence of a leak from the coolant tank. I check the coolant level and it doesn't seem to go down. Is there any way to pressure test that system for a leak?

2) Since I don't yet have an owner's manual, can someone please tell me if I should be checking the coolant level with the engine cold or warm?

3) Does anyone know any good private Porsche mechanic in Tampa?

4) There is a rattle toward the right top front of the dash that begins about 20-30 mph, and continues, and continues, and continues....... Any known issue or fix?

5) There is also a rattle under the middle of the dash, like something is loose. Any known issue or fix?

6) Lastly, thank goodness ;) , is there any easy fix for the wind noise from the area around the front edge of the driver's side door window (i.e., the A pillar)?

Thanks much.

Dean

• Admin
1) I have yet to see any evidence of a leak from the coolant tank. I check the coolant level and it doesn't seem to go down. Is there any way to pressure test that system for a leak?
Yes., but you need special tools to control the amount of pressure. If your dealer says it's leaking they should have done the pressure test. Many dealers will replace the tank for free since this is a known problem and Porsche has changed the tank 3 or 4 times.

2) Since I don't yet have an owner's manual, can someone please tell me if I should be checking the coolant level with the engine cold or warm?
The coolant should be checked when the engine is cold and the car is level. The fluid level must lie between the "Min." and "Max."markings.

3) Does anyone know any good private Porsche mechanic in Tampa?
Sorry, perhaps someone else can reply on this one.

4) There is a rattle toward the right top front of the dash that begins about 20-30 mph, and continues, and continues, and continues....... Any known issue or fix?
If the noise is actually at the front windshield then there is a TSB to replace the windshield seal. If the noise is in the dash there is a 9 page TSB that a series of fixes depending on the problem area.

5) There is also a rattle under the middle of the dash, like something is loose. Any known issue or fix?
Do you mean front console or dash? If anything in the front center console has been changed then it is likely that something is loose. If it is the dash then TSB I mentioned above should cover it.

6) Lastly, thank goodness, is there any easy fix for the wind noise from the area around the front edge of the driver's side door window (i.e., the A pillar)?
There are a couple more TSBs that cover A pillar noises. Most of them are for creaking or cracking noises not wind noise. Have you checked the weather stripping around the window? and are you sure the window is all the way up? If not, there is a special adjustment procedure to raise the window all the way up.

• 2 months later...