Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Fog light does not work

The right rear fog light in my Canadian 2001 Boxster S does not work.

I considered running a wire from the left fog light to the right. When I took the assembly out to do that I was unable to decide where to attach the wire to. Looking at the metal strip in the assembly, it appears that the daytime running light(the bulb to the far right in the assembly) positive metal strip is also attached to the positive side of the fog light.

The fuse list indicates that there is one fuse for the rear fog lights.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I might do about this ? It’s actually not that important, I just like everything on my car to work.

on US models, the left rear light is the only one that goes on

i am pretty sure this holds true for canadian models too

aloha

steve

The right rear fog light in my Canadian 2001 Boxster S does not work.

I considered running a wire from the left fog light to the right. When I took the assembly out to do that I was unable to decide where to attach the wire to. Looking at the metal strip in the assembly, it appears that the daytime running light(the bulb to the far right in the assembly) positive metal strip is also attached to the positive side of the fog light.

The fuse list indicates that there is one fuse for the rear fog lights.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I might do about this ? It’s actually not that important, I just like everything on my car to work.

• Moderators

I wired up the right side rear fog lamp on my 996, I took the power from the left lamp on the harness behind the rear light assembly connector, ran a wire over to the right wring harness connector. If you do it this way, then you can unplug the lamp assembly from the wiring harness and still remove it from the car.

rearfogsweb.jpg

Just remove the left lamp assembly and follow the wire from the rear fog lamp back to the connector.

It is done the same way on a Boxstir. You run a jumper wire from the fog light wire on the left bulb holder that has power to the wire on the right bulb holder that does not have power.

This sounds like an elegant solution. I didn't know that lamp didn't work, until someone at the stop light mentioned it. It was foggy, by the way.

I wonder why Porsche chose to light the left side only.

i believe it is to show where the driver's edge of the car is

in germany, you park halfway on the sidewalk and halfway on the street in small towns

aloha

steve

It is done the same way on a Boxstir. You run a jumper wire from the fog light wire on the left bulb holder that has power to the wire on the right bulb holder that does not have power.

This sounds like an elegant solution. I didn't know that lamp didn't work, until someone at the stop light mentioned it. It was foggy, by the way.

• 1 year later...

Hate to be a nerd, but where exactly is the jumper wire attached to? I tried it once by attaching it to the metal bit of the circuit on the fog light, but I blew the fuse :-(

I assume you soldered it on?

Is there any specific guage of wire needed?

i believe it is to show where the driver's edge of the car is

in germany, you park halfway on the sidewalk and halfway on the street in small towns

that's what the 'parking' lights are for (if you pull out the headlight switch and turn to the left you can light up one side of the car). ;)

the reason for one fog light is so that people don't confuse fog light(s) for brake lights.