Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1st crash with my 997c2

Late last night I did something very stupid with my year old 997. Waiting at a trafic light and the street being empty (Athens, Greece) I had the brilliant idea to test the car without the PSM. I made a U turn and the result was a crash on an electric pillar. The good thing was that it happened with a low speed so the damage is limited in the front part of the car (lid, mask, wheels, cooling system etc). Does anyone have any advice as to what I should pay attention in to during the repair? Thank you in advance!

That's unlucky.

If you want the car to be straight as it was before your bump, you have to have it looked at by a professional shop that knows what its doing. There's something like 32 reference measurements for the alignment of the front alone. The 'tub' that forms the front boot (trunk) is easy to deform. With all the energy absorbing zones built into cars these days, sometimes deformation will appear in the last place you expect - quite a distance from the site of the impact.

If any of the airbags or pyrotechnic seat belt retractors were deployed, as a minimum the airbag control unit will need changing (as well as the airbag itself, obviously) and some manufacturers mandate parts of the wiring harness are changed too.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the input. Fortunately the airbags weren't deployed. My big concern is that the Porsche dealer in Greece (there's only 1) has a low quality service and I need to know as much as possible in order for me to check his repair work.

post-8050-1134057353_thumb.jpg

post-8050-1134057397_thumb.jpg

:(

that hurts!

I'd say that your best bet is still the dealer

tip the main service guy 100euros, that should help ;)

Lefteris (car-gems.com) has a 996 and a 986 he may be able to offer some advice

keep the PSM on buddy, Athenian roads are slippery!

(especially since 911s cost twice as much there as they do here in the US)

Cheers,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I still can't stress enough you will have to go to an approved shop that have all the alignment points for your car. From the photograps, the gap between the front wing (fender) and door is enlarged - this shows the wing mounting points have been displaced. I would also suggest a full wheel alignment check, being prepared for new suspension control arms.