Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Prospective buyer of 987

My sales professional said the 19" weren't gonna be good for the 987 and 987s. First of all, it will make it a bit too sticky. He also said that I would probably regret getting the 19" simply for looks because I will be sacrificing much of my comfort on my ride. It would be a bit TOO BUMPY and HARD and the car is more balanced on 18". Any input? I like the 19" carrera S for looks.

My sales professional said the 19" weren't gonna be good for the 987 and 987s. First of all, it will make it a bit too sticky. He also said that I would probably regret getting the 19" simply for looks because I will be sacrificing much of my comfort on my ride. It would be a bit TOO BUMPY and HARD and the car is more balanced on 18". Any input? I like the 19" carrera S for looks.

I have a 987 S with the 19" carrera S wheels ......... can't speak to the 18" wheels ... although I do remember driving a Boxster with 18" wheels when I was shopping but, don't really recall a noticeable difference .... I wasn't trying to compare wheel sizes per se

The car rides a bit stiff .... after all, it is a Porsche not a Lincoln ..... " a bit too sticky " ??.. not sure what the saleman means there, but, the car corners as good or better than anything I've driven ( I'm 59 and have had lots of fun cars over the years )

I'm glad I have the 19'" wheels and tires .... maybe if I decide to get winter tires, I'll try the 18" ... for this winter, the car is put up in the garage, as I am living on my sailboat for 8 or 9 months ..... sure miss driving the Boxster .... rented a Ford Taurus yesterday .... this should be a driving experience !!!

Go for the 19" and enjoy driving a really sweet car .... you won't notice the bumps ... you'll be having too much fun taking corners at speeds you thought impossible !!!

teeheehee... "sales professional."

Let's examine the facts. What do you get with 19" wheels? More unsprung weight, less tire sidewall, potentially larger contact patch if the 19's are wider than the 18's, and harsher ride. Let's not forget cost as well, for both the option and the replacement tires, which already are an arm and a leg in 18" size. 19's "fill" the wells a bit more, but it's still the same overall diameter. As far as more "sticky," the tire compound is the same on a given tire model from one size to the next, generally. maybe what your salesman meant was that the lower profile sidewall will flex less, causing the car to break traction slightly later than the already sticky 18's under lateral load. But who the hell doesn't want to break traction once in a while? :)

My money (or lack thereof) votes on the 18's, even though I think that the 19's are prettier on the 987. Function over form.

I am getting the plain 987 and not 987 s so that should make the difference.

Finally, after much thinking today... I have decided to venture out and give it a try. I am getting rid of my R171 SLK 350 for a 987. I am gonna become a first time owner although my mother said I had always been the Mercedes guy. It would be vastly different. However, a friend of mine said you would love it and the communication between you and the 987 is what you are paying for and this is what 350 offers but in a different way.

My girlfriend already started nagging and said that I had only had the R171 for 9 months and I was already moving over to Porsche (obviously she was afraid that my style towards cars would transfer into that of relationship... girlfs...). She thought it was a step down for me in terms of power and comfort (the top)

However, this time around, I feel that I have muster up the courage to drive something vastly different. I had owned a few cars in my life... all sedan ride quality... the 325i convertible, the Jaguar S type, R171 SLK and now I am moving to Porsche. Never in my life had I driven one but I know she wouldn't like it. The stiff ride and the engine noise. Heck, I figure she would get used to it and I may forever become a porsche guy.

The declining qualities of MB are also upsetting me so I have decided tonight... a big decision for me... to try the 987 even at 2700+ cc only. A few friends already nagged that I made a mistake cos the 350 would be much more powerful but heck... I couldn't care less now and I hope this experience is gonna be a wonderful one.

18" are Walter Rhorls choice...... if they are good enough for the Porsche test driver they ere good enough for me.

If/when you buy your 987 PLEASE don't buy the tiptronic! the manual is the way to go if you enjoy driving.

Know nothing about the RMS but it seems popular. What exactly is that problem all about?

Prepare me for it as knowledge is power, rear spoiler clicking noise was another one I read. Any other ones?

The TSB parts really don't provide the details here. List out some major probs. My R171 SLK 350 was extremely disappointing so I am not gonna buy from DCAG anymore. They have just lost me and my whole family as a customer and I swear I will never ever buy from them again. That is... if you knew what happened to my R171... out of service for over 4.5 months in the SHOP! No compensation and nothing and in the end, they couldn't fix it and told me that after 4.5 months it was normal to have some clicking noises.

Can't take another hit like this but I was unlucky.

• Admin
The TSB parts really don't provide the details here.
Contributing Members can have a link to read the entire TSB as published by Porsche. There is plenty of detail.

Some TSBs are for tire, oil and other recommendations. Some are for adding accessories and some are for problems. Of the ones with specific problem fixes, I'd say about one third are for VIN specific issues. That is, only a few cars from a selected production run.

RMS problems are a leaking Rear Main Seal on the engine. I think it is pretty rare on the new models and Porsche is on a 4th generation seal for the older cars. It would not stop me from buying another Porsche.

My 987 has 19" carrera classics. They look superb and the tyre grip is phenomenal. Do you have the PSM option on your car? With PSM active, the 19" wheels give a smooth ride over almost any surface ( we know- we toured the west of Ireland) . With PSM selected off, the ride is firm and somewhat 'jiggly', but it is not unaccepatable in what is a true sports car. If you have not optioned PSM, go for the 18" wheels and tyres. The greater tyrewall depth will give extra absortion of vertical displacements and a smoother ride. Few people will notice the reduced grip under normal road conditions.

My 987 has 19" carrera classics. They look superb and the tyre grip is phenomenal. Do you have the PSM option on your car? With PSM active, the 19" wheels give a smooth ride over almost any surface ( we know- we toured the west of Ireland) . With PSM selected off, the ride is firm and somewhat 'jiggly', but it is not unaccepatable in what is a true sports car. If you have not optioned PSM, go for the 18" wheels and tyres. The greater tyrewall depth will give extra absortion of vertical displacements and a smoother ride. Few people will notice the reduced grip under normal road conditions.

Sorry to be pedantic but you mean PASM rather than PSM...... PASM is always "on" but it has two modes, sport mode (which you activate via a switch) is harder than normal mode which is always there doing its thing when you don't need the added response given by sport mode.

Also the 18" wheels and tyres give just as much grip as the 19"...... in the UK the 18" usually come fitted with Mitchelin Pilot Sport tyres which are actually better than the Continental tyres fitted to the 19"s......

Sorry to be pedantic but you mean PASM rather than PSM...... PASM is always "on" but it has two modes, sport mode (which you activate via a switch) is harder than normal mode which is always there doing its thing when you don't need the added response given by sport mode.

Also the 18" wheels and tyres give just as much grip as the 19"...... in the UK the 18" usually come fitted with Mitchelin Pilot Sport tyres which are actually better than the Continental tyres fitted to the 19"s......

You are right, it is PASM. The ride on 19" wheels is fine in 'normal' mode on all surfaces, but firm and not so comfortable in 'sport' mode, as one might expect.

My 19" wheels are UK dealer supplied and are Michelin Pilot Sports.

• Admin
987 S comes factory-mounted with 18" (larger brakes won't fit in smaller wheel rims...)
17" wheels will fit any 987 - as long as they meet the factory offset and width specs.

Here are the factory 17" wheels for Boxster (987) (not Boxster S (987)):

Front: 6.5 J x 17 H2, offset 55

Part No. 987.362.122.005

Rear: 8 J x 17 H2, offset 40

Part No. 987.362.126.00

Edited by Loren

My 19" wheels are UK dealer supplied and are Michelin Pilot Sports.

You are lucky! 3 friends at work went for the optional 19" wheels and ended up with Conti tyres while I got the pukka Pilot Sports...... they were NOT happy! :eek:

Loren: Oooops... My bad: the dealer told me that there is no option to get a 17" for the S because of the larger brake calipers. I have tried to go for the 17" in hope of better handling the "roads" we have here (in Hungary)...

• Admin
Loren: Oooops... My bad: the dealer told me that there is no option to get a 17" for the S because of the larger brake calipers. I have tried to go for the 17" in hope of better handling the "roads" we have here (in Hungary)...
You and your dealer is right - I misread the TSB. The 17" wheels are not for the Boxster S (987). I apologize - I must have been half asleep when I read that. I corrected my post above.

Excellence magazine reports (testing 987 and Cayman) that maximum handling performance was achieved with the 19s...crisper turn in and better grip. If you aren't concerned about that extra margin of performance, and don't want em for looks, then stay with the 18s.

I have 19s on my 2006 S and find the ride sports car firm but fine. From a looks perspective, I love the 19s!

BTW, I have a set of OEM 19" Carrera S rims (no tires) for sale if anyone is interested. I upgraded to Champion forged 19s. I will also trade em for great condition OEM 18" Boxster S wheels and some cash--I want OEM 18s for track tire fitment.

Thanks!