Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Current tiptronic system to be replaced by TWIN CLUTCH DSG

A friend of mine informed me that Porsche will soon replace its dated tiptronic automatic system with the new audi twin clutch DSG. (in 2 yr's time may be)... any insider news on this? If this is the case, getting a tiptronic now for 2006 will be a big mistake? If I do want the 987 in tiptronic, should I wait for 2 years? Or would it nonetheless make good sense to get it now.

Has the current tiptronic system been upgraded since the rollout of 986? One thing good about the current tiptronic system is that it has been well tested and buying the first generation DSG on a 987 may not be a good idea anyway.

A friend of mine informed me that Porsche will soon replace its dated tiptronic automatic system with the new audi twin clutch DSG. (in 2 yr's time may be)... any insider news on this? If this is the case, getting a tiptronic now for 2006 will be a big mistake? If I do want the 987 in tiptronic, should I wait for 2 years? Or would it nonetheless make good sense to get it now.

Has the current tiptronic system been upgraded since the rollout of 986? One thing good about the current tiptronic system is that it has been well tested and buying the first generation DSG on a 987 may not be a good idea anyway.

Rumor is, if Porsche releases DSG, it will show on the 997 Turbo first. Could take a couple years or longer to show on other models if successful. Get what you want/need now. Deal with the future later.

:beer:

What is a DSG? Does it just shift faster or is there some other bene to it?

Dual clutch gearbox that always has the next gear ready...... when you change gear it is instant with no drop in acceleration.

Since Porsche have just purchased the majority share in VW I suspect they will use the newly developed DSG type technology now seen in the Veyron.

P.S. To answer the original question Tiptronic is crap!

Edited by Wads

porsche bought 20% of VW

piech and family own a lot, but i'm not sure if you add theirs to the PAG 20%, it makes over 50%

aloha

steve

What is a DSG? Does it just shift faster or is there some other bene to it?

Dual clutch gearbox that always has the next gear ready...... when you change gear it is instant with no drop in acceleration.

Since Porsche have just purchased the majority share in VW I suspect they will use the newly developed DSG type technology now seen in the Veyron.

P.S. To answer the original question Tiptronic is crap!

agree, even for DSG to be implemented on Boxster or its lineup, it will take at least upwards of 2 years. First of all, they must do a bit of testing in using what the veyron has on its lineup. Then it will start to rollout on selected few.

However, if it will be on the TURBO first, then maybe we can see it as soon as 2006 when the TURBO rolls out. Since we have not seen it on the CAYMAN, I suspect that it won't be for a while.

I ain't sure about the tiptronic... does anybody know Porsche's sales number on Stick V. Tiptronic? On this side of the world, 95% of Porsche is tiptronic due to traffic conditions and contours (in 1 hour, you are still stuck in traffic in Tokyo... while in 1 hour's time, you will be off skiing in lake tahoe...). Also, tiptronic preserves value much better due to a higher demand. I know this sounds a bit stupid cos I should purchase my car based on my preference... I love driving but if I have a stick, nobody else in the family can enjoy my ride (maybe that's a good thing... the last time my sister took my first day on the road R171 SLK out, she scratched the left side of the rim and then on the same day my gf scratched the right side... ouch!!!). Well, I guess life is all about sharing and compromise.

But probably the mercedes 7G tronic would be a better deal in terms of shifting just like the Golf GTis DSG. What about BEAMER's famous SMG? I have not driven an M3 but most say it is amazing. To me, it doesn't mean that Porsche's tiptronic is crap... just that it is more well tested and less updated. However, a few said this generation's tiptronic is an updated version but 5 speed is a bit out for sure.

djant, can you elaborate on the tip and dsg relationship with jerkiness? I am now driving a 7G tronic on the new R171 SLK 350. It's quite smooth and it's being used also on CLS though I heard some bugs are coming up now... including jerkiness when going downhill.

The tip is well established and tested and I bet there has been some improvements on the new 987. The only concern is that it is only 5 speed.

But in fact, for some reason, a friend of mine owned an M3 and had many negative things to say about the widely praised SMG on the M3. I guess cos of his bad experience. He owned the car for 3 years and at the end of it his SMG gearbox failed on him and the whole thing had to be replaced. He was angry cos his warranty had just expired (in HK, MB offers only 2 years of warranty... and you must buy extended warranty...) and it cost him a fortune to replace the entire box. He said that it was a usual thing for SMG's box to fail after 2-3 years but I ain't sure what he means.

He did say that the tiptronic is well renowned to be more durable and smooth. Whatever that means...

I guess you are the one who did say something positive about the tip because everyone on this forum seems to say that it is rubbish and yet I see 95% + cars in HK using tip. There must be something good about it.

but what are some good things on the current tip, a dated system, compared to SMG or DSG? I mean for Porsche to offer something that can't stand up to the competition, it is rare. Porsche must see something good about the system to have it still on. One thing could be cost but I doubt it... they have put the toureg engine on the Cayenne and they would have easily just put in a box from VW. No problem. I suspect that they do see something special or good about the tip.

Tiptronic is pretty advanced in its gear selection and actually holds gears when pushed hard. I'd go with a tip if you don't want stick. DSG is avail on S3 as well. It'll be a jerkier ride similar to SMG. SMG is pretty jerky compared to an auto.

Pardon? DSG shifts are almost seamless..... you can hardly tell that the gear change has happened! SMG first generation were very jerky when shifting at high revs, SMG II shifts are much smoother but still not quite as smooth as the Merc 7G (or AMG version)...... I've driven them all and the Porsche Tiptronic is rubbish in comparison. I hope the Porsche DSG will give the company a good alternative to the manual.

I sit in traffic for two hours every day and still prefer the manual.......