Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Hose Connection

I need some help checking a potential problem with my 2000 C4 Cab. I noticed that one of the coolant lines doesn't seem to be seated fully on the white connector indicated with the arrow on the attached picture. It doesn't appear that anything is or has been leaking from this connection. I don't know if there is supposed to be this gap, so I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at their car to see if your coolant hose is connected in the same way. I'd hate to loosen and reconnect a hose that already is properly connected.

Thanks for your help.

Background: Last weekend I noticed the coolant level was below the min line. I haven't had any problems with high temps, but decided to add a few cups of dionized water to get it mid-way between the min and max lines. Unfortunately, I did not screw the cap on tight enough and left a puddle of coolant behind my left wheel after a 20 minute drive. I topped up to just below the max line with dionized water. Next morning, I notice the water is below the min line, so I add a bit more (now having used a total of about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon). I haven't driven the car again, but the water is again just (barely) below the min line. I don't see any signs of coolant leaking. I'm not sure if I have the updated coolant expansion tank, but the cap number ends in 01, so I think the cap is the "newer" one.

post-3367-1134603090_thumb.jpg

• Admin

That connection looks the same as mine. There should be a flare on the plastic piece that keeps the hose on with the clamp. I wouldn't worry about that connection.

01 is the latest cap - besides when the cap leaks you see residue on top of the tank.

If you see a leak on the ground near the left rear wheel (and the cap is on tight) then it is likely the familiar coolant tank crack. Many times the crack is on or near the bottom of the tank is very hard to see. I'd keep an eye on it but it sounds like a cracked tank from what you describe - sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply, Loren. Glad I didn't try to "fix" the connection. That could have been a mess.

I'll keep an eye on the coolant level. I'm hoping that the "leak" was just the loose cap, but that would not explain why the coolant was low in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Loren,

The coolant tank was cracked, as you suspected. I replaced it this weekend (along with the fuel filter since it was convenient). Besides being a PITA to get the old tank out, the only other problem I had was I could not get the tank to seat properly in the black overhead bracket. It keeps getting hung up on one or more of the six tabs (well, now five since I broke one off in an attempt to spread it wider). I'm thinking about lubing up the plastic tabs on the coolant tank, or maybe even filing down the leading edge of the tabs on the coolant tank to help get them sliding onto the bracket tabs. Whattaya think? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Doug

Loren,

The coolant tank was cracked, as you suspected. I replaced it this weekend (along with the fuel filter since it was convenient). Besides being a PITA to get the old tank out, the only other problem I had was I could not get the tank to seat properly in the black overhead bracket. It keeps getting hung up on one or more of the six tabs (well, now five since I broke one off in an attempt to spread it wider). I'm thinking about lubing up the plastic tabs on the coolant tank, or maybe even filing down the leading edge of the tabs on the coolant tank to help get them sliding onto the bracket tabs. Whattaya think? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Doug

Hi - done this myself and agree a complete PITA to get it back as well. Stating the obvious maybe, but you do realise that the tank does not slide in from the front - it slides in from underneath (matching the tank slot with the holder slot) and then once 'up' push back away from the engine and it will slot into place (with a good wiggle/shove I should add...) Yep lube will help, I just used plain old water so it wouldn't make a mess. I also recommend getting on the rear coolant pipe before you push the tank home - you get more space to get that clamp on that way - the small one and bottom one can be done when the tank is fully home no problem. Also if it's a C4/GT3, remember to fix the Fuel filter in place as well before you finalise the position...

Remember to seat those pipes properly and endure the clamps are just after the 'bump' in the plastic.

Good luck - good sense of achievement though once you've done it ...

Thanks, teeerex. I took another shot at it this morning, but was not successful. I can't seem to wiggle it into the slots. The bracket just wants to move (slightly) with the tank. I may have to pull the tank back out and take out the bracket to see if any of the bracket tabs are bent up too much.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update: I took another crack at it today. I ended up pulling the whole tank out, removing the bracket and sliding the bracket on outside the car. That seemed to loosen it up a bit. I lubricated the bracket before reattaching it. Then the tank slotted right in. My advice for anyone trying this is to make sure the tank is correctly seated in the bracket before attaching the coolant hoses and the sensor.

Edited by C4 Pazzo