Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

e-bay brakes

has anybody used or know anything about the brakes being sold on e-bay. I'm doing my homework befor I need them. I would like to replace everything at once....rotors, pads and sensors! The drilled Zimmerman look the part...what have guys heard!!

Thanks Aaron

has anybody used or know anything about the brakes being sold on e-bay. I'm doing my homework befor I need them. I would like to replace everything at once....rotors, pads and sensors! The drilled Zimmerman look the part...what have guys heard!!

Thanks Aaron

I would go to the sponsor links to find Suncoast Porsche. They sell OEM parts at the lowest price.

Thanks Aaron

I would go to the sponsor links to find Suncoast Porsche. They sell OEM parts at the lowest price.

Sorry. It should be the link on the home page: · Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost

I just did exactly this: rotors, pads, and sensors from e-bay. The rotors are drilled/slotted Zimmermans and look great. The pads are Mintex and went in fine, except that the fronts had no holes for the sensors. After examining the old pads, I chose not to replace the sensors. My brake wear light came on, but the pads have between 15-20% of their material remaining. I could have easily put another 3,000 miles of street driving on them. I check my pads often enough that I feel secure not relying on this technology. I got a Motive power bleeder and did a full fluid flush while I was at it. This was the first time I had done my car's brakes and it took a little over 4 hours including a test drive and garage clean-up. All in, it cost less than $550. I don't know what the dealer would charge, but I'd bet it's waaaay over what I paid.

For what it's worth, the next day (yesterday) I got rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight totalling the bumper and right rear quarter, so I can't tell you how well they work once broken in, but the car was braking better then it had before. Sure hope I get her back soon [1999 986 2.5]

The e-bay zimmermans were the ones I was looking at....thanks for the post and I'm sorry to here about the rear-ender!!

Aaron

I just did exactly this: rotors, pads, and sensors from e-bay. The rotors are drilled/slotted Zimmermans and look great. The pads are Mintex and went in fine, except that the fronts had no holes for the sensors. After examining the old pads, I chose not to replace the sensors. My brake wear light came on, but the pads have between 15-20% of their material remaining. I could have easily put another 3,000 miles of street driving on them. I check my pads often enough that I feel secure not relying on this technology. I got a Motive power bleeder and did a full fluid flush while I was at it. This was the first time I had done my car's brakes and it took a little over 4 hours including a test drive and garage clean-up. All in, it cost less than $550. I don't know what the dealer would charge, but I'd bet it's waaaay over what I paid.

For what it's worth, the next day (yesterday) I got rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight totalling the bumper and right rear quarter, so I can't tell you how well they work once broken in, but the car was braking better then it had before. Sure hope I get her back soon [1999 986 2.5]

I have seen various kits on ebay over the years.

Make a link and I will take a look.

here you go TP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• Moderators

It has been said Zimmermann makes the rotors used by Porsche. With Zimmermann you can get rotors with the holes for the base Boxster.

I thought you were looking at this type of kit I have seen on ebay that also has the pads and sensors. The kit in the picture is for the front on the base Boxster. We reuse the sensors unless the warning light is on.

Here is some info on pads.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=4401&hl=mintex

post-4-1136829002_thumb.jpg

It has been said Zimmermann makes the rotors used by Porsche. With Zimmermann you can get rotors with the holes for the base Boxster.

I was thinking of this type of kit I have seen on ebay that also has the pads and sensors. The kit in the picture is for the front on the base Boxster. We reuse the sensors unless the warning light is on.

Here is some info on pads.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=4401&hl=mintex

Thanks TP..................

AaronHurd -

I did a full brake job on my MY99 Boxster. I got the pads, rotors and sensors from All German Parts (www.allgermanparts.com). They have package deals offered on eBay. That is what TP is showing. Here is a link to a package for the rears - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...itemZ7990787144

The rotors I purchased are canmium plated to prevent rust. The rears were US$270. I think the fronts were US$10 less. The rotors look good and the pads haven't made any noise. I have put about 500 miles on them. I stepped on them hard a couple times and they work great. They work well for my daily commuting too. I don't autocross.

My Boxster had 45000 miles on it so I decided to replace the spring-clips and caliper bolts as well. I figured this was the first full brake job the car would have had. I read that you really want to replace the caliper bolts each time as Porsche recommends. I bought the bolt and spring-clip kits from a Porsche dealer (Sunset Imports). The parts sales person said you really want to do it because the bolts are under a lot of pressure and they actually stretch. I placed the old up against the new and found this to be true. Nearly 1/16" on the front.

Sunset Imports has the best pricing for any Porsche dealer I have found. Here is a link to them - www.sunsetimports.com

Out the door I spent under US$700 on the parts and only had to pay for the beer in order to enlist my brothers help with the work. Detailed instructions on how to do it can be found at www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

And a huge THANK YOU to both my brother and Trygve Isaacson at Bombay Digital for his very informative instructions.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

-pvaughan