Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ramifications of removing spare from 996

The biggest obvious problem is that i'll be stuck somewhere if/when I get a flat. (Just to state the obvious).

Where I am going with this is: what does a 997 owner do when they have a flat? Is there an airpump that could get you a few miles? My 996 already has an airpump for the spare...at least I think that is what that thing is in the trunk.

Does a 997 owner call Porsche and they come and tow him/her? Would they tell a 996 owner that they are supposed to have a spare and to take a hike?

I am looking for some more room in my front trunk and can't stand having only enough room for a couple of loaves of bread in the trunk.

My last Porsche was a Boxster and the front trunk was much larger and the back trunk was great.

Edited by navin in KC

The fluid tire repair kits (where you use a cannister of stuff to re-inflate and seal the interior of the tire) only work on certain size punctures. If you have a sidewall failure, or a very large puncture, the fluid kit will probably not get you too far.

So its all about probability............the odds of a major tire failure vs. the odds of a small puncture. The spare wheel in the trunk will deal with both scenarios.

Overall, punctures are fairly low risk in normal road situations. Large tire failures/large punctures would seem to be even less of a risk in the same conditions.

If space is the major deciding factor here, then get a good quality repair kit and see what happens.

Hi, I ahve considered the same thing, but could not justify the removal vs. cost ratio. The weight benifit is minimal and well I do not use the car for enough to actually remove the spare. Allthogh it would actually make into a useful space. I can fit about 17 plastic grocery bags in there when absolutely necessary ie. avoiding sleeping on the couch. I think you would be safe as far as not having it, but using the goo is a mess when you change the tire! Good Luck with your decision.

P.S. Jim in Overland Park

Edited by ViolaGT3

I remember reading a similar thread on this same topic on another forum a while back.

One other issue that was discussed in the thread was the fact that the spare tyre can act as load spreading device in case of frontal impact. It is apparently designed into the crash testing criteria for the 996.

Mind you all that could be just someones opinion ie BS, as I have not seen any official information regarding this in the owner's manual etc.

Edited by ZX7R

That inflate a tire stuff is usually bad news. I have a small ari compressor and a plut kit in my car at all times and no spare

I remember reading a similar thread on this same topic on another forum a while back.

One other issue that was discussed in the thread was the fact that the spare tyre can act as load spreading device in case of frontal impact. It is apparently designed into the crash testing criteria for the 996.

Mind you all that could be just someones opinion ie BS, as I have not seen any official information regarding this in the owner's manual etc.

The 997, like most cars without spares, has a tire pressure monitoring system so you at least have a clue when you have a punture.

If you have a small puncture and get the tire repaired, can they clean the sealant crap out of the tire?

the spare tyre can act as load spreading device in case of frontal impact. It is apparently designed into the crash testing criteria for the 996.

The spare tire is not meant to absorb impact from a crash. In 2WD versions of the 996, it stands straight up, so the fact that it lays flat in C4's is only to fit it into the space, not for crash absorbing.

The biggest obvious problem is that i'll be stuck somewhere if/when I get a flat. (Just to state the obvious).

Where I am going with this is: what does a 997 owner do when they have a flat? Is there an airpump that could get you a few miles? My 996 already has an airpump for the spare...at least I think that is what that thing is in the trunk.

Does a 997 owner call Porsche and they come and tow him/her? Would they tell a 996 owner that they are supposed to have a spare and to take a hike?

I am looking for some more room in my front trunk and can't stand having only enough room for a couple of loaves of bread in the trunk.

My last Porsche was a Boxster and the front trunk was much larger and the back trunk was great.

I see you have a Cab. Summer or winter I can load a lot of stuff in the back with the top down and then just raise the top.

.....can they clean the sealant crap out of the tire?

From what I understand, no. Although it could be that they just don't wanna mess with it. :cursing:

What do you mean? They remove the tire and throw it away. Then they clean the rim and put a new tire on. And yes, mechanics love it - you better tell them about the sealant before they pull the tire off since it's still liquid inside. Otherwise they might be less thankful than expected :rolleyes:

@DCP: I certainly wouldn't want to have a repaired puncture on a car capable of going 280kph+

I'm not really a big fan of that stuff. Once had a sidewall puncture on my MB (which by the way like many other cars has NO monitoring system - if you needed that you should have bought a 928 15 years ago :P ). Size was less than 1 cm but the tire wouldn't hold more than 1.5 bar since when the sidewall started straightening out it would loose it again. Was sufficient for driving to the dealer though. Nevertheless it's always more work than a spare:

Remove the valve, fill it in, put the valve back in, inflate,then hurry to get the car going in order to spread the stuff, stop, check again, inflate a little more an re-check.

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

.....can they clean the sealant crap out of the tire?

From what I understand, no. Although it could be that they just don't wanna mess with it. :cursing:

What do you mean? They remove the tire and throw it away. Then they clean the rim and put a new tire on. And yes, mechanics love it - you better tell them about the sealant before they pull the tire off since it's still liquid inside. Otherwise they might be less thankful than expected :rolleyes:

@DCP: I certainly wouldn't want to have a repaired puncture on a car capable of going 280kph+

I'm not really a big fan of that stuff. Once had a sidewall puncture on my MB (which by the way like many other cars has NO monitoring system - if you needed that you should have bought a 928 15 years ago :P ). Size was less than 1 cm but the tire wouldn't hold more than 1.5 bar since when the sidewall started straightening out it would loose it again. Was sufficient for driving to the dealer though. Nevertheless it's always more work than a spare:

Remove the valve, fill it in, put the valve back in, inflate,then hurry to get the car going in order to spread the stuff, stop, check again, inflate a little more an re-check.

Thorsten

Have the so called "run flat" tires been perfected to the point where they can be used safely at or close to track speeds? They were pretty heavy, but I notice that Corvettes (sorry) use them and was wondering if that is now a suitable alternative for a Porsche???

mm… Topical or what...

Doing a late night dash last night through London after working a 14 hour day came round a corner to find a wash out caused by a recently burst water main that took my front left tire clean out.

Dead.. :censored:

No rim dent, but no side wall either and I had checked my air pressures in the morning when I filled the car. It hurt and probably hurt the front end but that’s a secondary issue.

:oops:

Net result.. If no spare, I would have been stuck waiting for a tow until 2AM rather than fixing it and limping home with a hurt ego.

Peter