Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

easy sattelite radio question, antenna placement

so I've got a Sirius S50, which so far is great and will get much better once my hardwire kit comes from Becker (cdr220)

currently I've got the antenna run shoddily under the passenger seat ending up behind the rollbars on top of the speaker shelf figuring the plastic window will be more or less transparent... well maybe it's too close to the rollbars at the moment but the reception isn't so good depending on the direction I'm driving

so, my question, anybody have any good ideas abotu where I can place the antenna? it's not something I really want to put on the body anywhere

I don't have sirus but xm. I have always either gotten or not gotten reception thier is no in between. I did use an FM modulator for a while though and it will make your reception poor. I used an Fm modulator on my xm and Ipod and in both cases it does an OK job but really doesn't compare to a staight wired conection. I have a tape cassete that will plug in to my sat reciever and it sounds perfect when I use it on either the Ipod or the Sat.

I usually just keep my antenna laid up on the front dash, but like I said as far as reception that sat antenna will either be on or off no static or in between.

Hope this helps.

so I've got a Sirius S50, which so far is great and will get much better once my hardwire kit comes from Becker (cdr220)

currently I've got the antenna run shoddily under the passenger seat ending up behind the rollbars on top of the speaker shelf figuring the plastic window will be more or less transparent... well maybe it's too close to the rollbars at the moment but the reception isn't so good depending on the direction I'm driving

so, my question, anybody have any good ideas abotu where I can place the antenna? it's not something I really want to put on the body anywhere

I have seen it in the front trunk area next to the pollen filter, so you would never know it is there.

now that is neat, thanks for posting that Tool Pants

I wonder if I'd need a better antenna than what my tuner came with, I notice that one is a Terk which I think are usually sold as "better" antennas

I have seen it in the front trunk area next to the pollen filter, so you would never know it is there.

I wonder if I'd need a better antenna than what my tuner came with, I notice that one is a Terk which I think are usually sold as "better" antennas

I had tried putting the antenna next to the pollen filter (an a 04 C4S) and got good, but not great results. I then pulled the front bumper cover and mounted the antenna to the front bumper. This seems to work well. It is invisible, and gets good reception. I think that next to the pollen filter has the issue of being in the shadow of the window frame (and roof in my car). This may be less of an issue in a boxster.

I had tried putting the antenna next to the pollen filter (an a 04 C4S) and got good, but not great results. I then pulled the front bumper cover and mounted the antenna to the front bumper. This seems to work well. It is invisible, and gets good reception. I think that next to the pollen filter has the issue of being in the shadow of the window frame (and roof in my car). This may be less of an issue in a boxster.

I wish I'd had the radio to install a few weeks ago since I'd taken the bumper cover off to replace the horns, but I wasn't about to do that again today so I put it very near the pollen filter, I'll post pics and results tomorrow after I've given it a test drive

I mounted my Sirius antenna next to the pollen filter. I get great reception and it is completely hidden. I highly recommend this approach.

I used velcro to stick the antenna up underneath the plastic windshield cowl.

- Mike -

01 Boxster S

I mounted my Sirius antenna next to the pollen filter. I get great reception and it is completely hidden. I highly recommend this approach.

I used velcro to stick the antenna up underneath the plastic windshield cowl.

- Mike -

01 Boxster S

yeah so far the reception is great, but I have a slight problem, even with the ground loop isolater I've got an engine speed based whine in the speakers through the Aux input, sounds like dirty power still but I'm not sure what to do to get it any cleaner

• 1 month later...

New Boxster owner myself and the first think I did was buy a Sirius S50 (I'm also in Boston btw)

Just had a question on where this mounting location is, it is dark and raining right now, and will be raining (and snowing) tomorrow.

How is the antenna wire itself run to the front trunk and where exactly is the pollen filter?Are there turnscrews to access the area similar to the engine compartment?

Thanks

~Mike

yeah so far the reception is great, but I have a slight problem, even with the ground loop isolator I've got an engine speed based whine in the speakers through the Aux input, sounds like dirty power still but I'm not sure what to do to get it any cleaner

I installed a ground loop isolator myself, and I oddly enough found that the FM transmitter was providing a much cleaner sound, so I returned the isolator... Is your isolator run any where near wires that are carrying power? If so that may be causing the noise.

Edited by far972

I've got the Sirius Visor installed in the left side of the owner's manual shelf. Antenna wire is run under dash up right side and antenna itself is on the dash just to the right of the alarm LED. You'd never know it wasn't supposed to be there - reception is perfect. By the way - mine is wired in-line with the CDR220 antenna. Sounds great.

I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera back from my :censored: girlfriend.

underside of windsheild cowl

placement of antenna on cowl

phone harnes & antenna cable

temporary mounting spot

so here it is, 1st link is the underside of the removed cowl, 2nd shows the placement, I cut a small piece of galvanized steel which I then painted black with rustoleum, this I zip-tied in place with the existing holes and used the antenna's own magnet to hold it in place

it's as high as it can possibly be in the cowl and will be easy to remove, plus I don't have to worry about adhesive melting off

the mounting spot of the S50 is temporary since I'm planning on getting a console delete, I'm not sure where to put the thing once I get that though (yes I should have done a better job, I know)

so here it is, 1st link is the underside of the removed cowl, 2nd shows the placement, I cut a small piece of galvanized steel which I then painted black with rustoleum, this I zip-tied in place with the existing holes and used the antenna's own magnet to hold it in place

it's as high as it can possibly be in the cowl and will be easy to remove, plus I don't have to worry about adhesive melting off

the mounting spot of the S50 is temporary since I'm planning on getting a console delete, I'm not sure where to put the thing once I get that though (yes I should have done a better job, I know)

Wow, thanks for the pics, that will help a ton!

As far as mounting is concerned, I found that anyplace I put the S50 seemed to be in the way of something, or ran the risk of being knocked around by someones leg. So I actually mounted it inside the little compartment below the stereo, it completely obscures the mounting bracket, and only the S50 unit itself is exposed. I am planning on building a little plastic cover that I will use to cover the slot, cutting a small hole in it to allow the mounting arm to pass through.

Finally I am planning to "hardwire" the S50 to a new accessory switch, I just need to find a good place to tap in for power...

By the way, where are you in Boston Stumpjumper, and what color is your Boxster so I can wave when I see you ;-)

Finally I am planning to "hardwire" the S50 to a new accessory switch, I just need to find a good place to tap in for power...

Hmm... looks like you may have already done that looking at your mounting pic... how did you run the power?

the power cable in that pic is the cell phone accessory cable, it comes with every car and is found somewhere under the radio typically behind the console, if i remember correctly it has both switched and non-switched 12v power, I tapped the switched which means I can't have scheduled recordings but I figured it was better safe

I guess I didn't take a pic of it but I added an accessory plug and just held the S50's power adapter in with some electrical tape

right now I'm south of Boston in Randolph, the car is a black on black S :)

been waving at every p-car I see but so far only a GT3 and another boxster have waved back :(

• 2 weeks later...
been waving at every p-car I see but so far only a GT3 and another boxster have waved back :(

Try the flash (flashing your headlights), it's the traditional Porsche greeting. I've flashed 2 p-cars and waved back once in the last month (I'm in Newton).