Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My car got VANDALISED!

2005 987 Boxster S

I was at my apartment monday night, went to sleep, and at 6 am next morning the maintenance guy knocks on my door to tell me someone went into the basement garage (with security gates which requieres you a special ard to get in and out) broke my passenger window, stole my Valentine 1, sunglasses, cellphone, my collection of CD's, and some other random stuff, plus stole my regular halogen headlights (wich i put HID's on them 3 weeks ago) and scratched my center console. Broken glass was everywere on my car.

I filled out a police report, called my insuranse, took 3 days for them to give me an appointment (it would've been 7 days if they came to see my car, so i had to drive all the way to were they were) and only the headlights (without HID's) and the window were covered, my radar, sunglasses and cell phone were not covered.

So yesterday I took my car to the dealer to have everything solved and also told them about the problem i have had that they havent solved about the "6 speed lever does not return to neutral, tsb 3531", a rear trunk lid open message i've been getting while driving over some road imperfection, and some random stuff.

Just wanted to share this horrible experience. Thanks God my buildings administration is now putting cameras and a security guy at night.

Hope this never happens to anyone. :cheers:

I guess we all get that feeling of dread when we walk away and leave our cars exposed to the :censored: public nuisances of the world. Sorry about your experience, but it makes me glad to live in a concealed carry state. Man, wouldn't you like too catch the bum(s) in the act! Hope everything get fixed properly.

My personal fear is the dreaded keying or door ding.

Car covers supposedly are one of the better deterrents in both break-ins

and preventing other acts of vandalism (and minor door dings).

The main reason is that they are pain to deal with (especially if

you lock it), slows down the theft, more obvious that someone is

messing with the car, and makes it harder to see what's in the car.

Of course you'll feel like an idiot covering your car in an underground

garage. I generally cover mine at work, or if I need to leave

it somewhere for any length of time.

I'd love to find one of those car covers that has a junker painted on it.

.. I was thinking of getting a generic car cover as opposed to one advertising there was a Porsche beneath. Better yet, maybe a Ford emblem or a "Pinto" stencil would work just as well... hmm.

You can get a generic evolution 4 cover for $70-100 at Pep Boys. Or, shop on eBay for a generic one. These are 4 ply with lining. Noah is good too but slightly thinner and less ding resistent. Since the mirrors fold, universal cover fit quite well. It'll protect your top from sun as well. Unless you live somewhere windy, you don't need to lock it or tie it down. Putting up the cover takes 1 min once you get used to it. You'll need less washing too.

Chances are, this guy will come back. Never leave valuables in the car. Your alarm should have also gone off. Put some wheel locks if you have 18" too.

My fear is a cut top or keyed paint. Broken glass and stolen parts are a pain but not detrimental. Certainly covered by insurance.

Apartments are ponds for scum to grow. Review the crime stats and you'll find that apartments harbor more transient individuals that tend to be pressed out of work easily (no home). Buying a home requires commitment, hard work and a sense of neighborly responsibility. I lived in high dollar apartments previously and it just didn't matter, someone in the complex is looking for quick cash or their friends are. I'm bummed for your loss. I've had the fortunate opportunity to catch one in the act of ripping out my stereo years ago and made him pay dearly for his transgression. There are more crooks out there than you can teach a lesson. Find peace in the fact you have the opportunity to own such a fine car, and some will be jealous of your success. Keep living well!

I've had the fortunate opportunity to catch one in the act of ripping out my stereo years ago and made him pay dearly for his transgression.

Considering it says you are from Texas, I would love to read the story of what happened to this punk.

I've had the fortunate opportunity to catch one in the act of ripping out my stereo years ago and made him pay dearly for his transgression.

Considering it says you are from Texas, I would love to read the story of what happened to this punk.

Black belt (full contact), five years boxing--my prior life before investments...

Edited by happy911

Of course you'll feel like an idiot covering your car in an underground

garage. I generally cover mine at work, or if I need to leave

it somewhere for any length of time.

I cover mine in my basement garage and don't feel at all like an idiot. I welcome every bit of protection in the hostile beach environment. Same for hostile apartment environ!

Love the junker idea. Reminds me of an old commercial where the car cover is painted like a junker for a car parked on mean streets. :thumbup:

I thought already about the car cover, but I'm waaay too lazy to put it on every night. As for the wheel locks on 18's of 19's, unfortunately I have the 20" Techarts, and I think they have no wheel locks, as the rear ones are 305-25-20.

What I think I will do is to put the 3M film so they cant break my window, but then there is the windshield, or the soft-top, or if not, they will get angry they couldnt break into my car and scratch it or something like that.

What I will sure be putting into my car is tinted window, and a microchip a frind of mine sells that you install inside the headlight and it can be tracked via satellite, that way we can find the thieves and put them were they belong.

I really hope i can catch these jerks some time soon so I can teach them not to mess with me.

I will post pictures soon, i just havent had time.

Thanks to everybody for your concerns.

-987 Boxster S

u have 20's and no wheel lock? i am surprised they aren't jacked! Better get a bunch of locks before the car end up on jack stands!

don't add tint to the window. just remove valuables.

how does the microchip work? if they are indoors, there is no gps receiption. i wonder how the item is tracked? seems like a gadget to me that doesn't work.

u have 20's and no wheel lock? i am surprised they aren't jacked! Better get a bunch of locks before the car end up on jack stands!

don't add tint to the window. just remove valuables.

how does the microchip work? if they are indoors, there is no gps receiption. i wonder how the item is tracked? seems like a gadget to me that doesn't work.

I agree. I take everything out of the car. If they want to rip the car, go ahead. I'll have another one in the garage in a week. They are great cars, but if somebody wants your car, it's as good as gone. My buddy is a cop and he's seen them all stolen with every alarm you can think of. In fact they caught one guy driving a new Mercedes with the alarm going off as he drove down the highway. Nobody pays any attention to alarms anymore. Heck, I've seen Hyundais with alarms going off in the parking lot at the local mall. Get a kill switch, but at best it only slows them down.

While in college I woke up one night to my neighbor's car alarm going off. I looked out the window and this guy was just taking his time steeling the t-tops of my neighbor's new 300zx. He didn't look concerned at all; breaking the window, undoing the tops and putting in the back of his truck. By the time my neighbor got outside, mr. crook had slowly driven off. I would have headed out myself, but I don't go after anyone in my underwear unless they're stealing my stuff or I'm running from the cops (kidding). :huh:

do they even make wheel locks for the 20" techarts?? as of what I know they dont, thats why i didnt bought them. Anyway I'm going to ask at the dealership because I DONT want my wheels to be stolen!!!

P.S. Pics should be posted within 4 days.