Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof Treatment - Is the roof the same as earlier Boxsters?

On the '01, about 3 years in, I cleaned the roof with 303 Top Cleaner, then conditioned it with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. 2+ years later, the top would still bead water, much like freshly waxed metal.

So now, with the new '06, and rainy weather, I'm noticing that the top doesn't bead water at all. In fact, it appears to soak in and wet the roof completely, rather quickly.

I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and hit it with the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, but want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this, one way or another, or knows if the roofs are the same as previously (in which case I'll proceed, given my earlier good results). Or can anyone recommend a better product for this?

I used RaggTopp Fabric Protectant for cloth tops. I cleaned the top first with their RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner and then when completely dry, I masked rubber, plastic and glass areas. I applied 3 full overlapping coats and allowed 20 minutes between. Water beads like nobody's business. Be aware, it takes awhile for the smell to dissipate! Otherwise? Very pleased.

I used RaggTopp Fabric Protectant for cloth tops. I cleaned the top first with their RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner and then when completely dry, I masked rubber, plastic and glass areas. I applied 3 full overlapping coats and allowed 20 minutes between. Water beads like nobody's business. Be aware, it takes awhile for the smell to dissipate! Otherwise? Very pleased.

This is my first convertable and I want to make sure it lasts .. from your experience (outside of the smell), about how long does this fabric protectant work for? Manufacturers sometimes put ... misleading ... information on their products (lasts a really long time, or only lasts 3 weeks so use more).

I never drive the car in rain and keep it parked in a garage. My enemies are fine particle dust and sunlight.

use a lint roller to pick up dust and lints. i cover the car when i park outside to avoid sun and morning dew.

the protectant usually lasts 6 -10 months. not hurt in doing a wash w shampoo when it's dirty (or every 6 months) followed by the spray. for normal car wash, i usually just rinse w water.

i think my top will last 10 yrs at least. knock on wood!

This is my first convertable and I want to make sure it lasts .. from your experience (outside of the smell), about how long does this fabric protectant work for? Manufacturers sometimes put ... misleading ... information on their products (lasts a really long time, or only lasts 3 weeks so use more).

I never drive the car in rain and keep it parked in a garage. My enemies are fine particle dust and sunlight.

I've only had it on there for a month. I drive this car everyday and everywhere. So I should be able to get a good idea real soon. I haven't needed it yet, but will use the RaggTopp cleaner when necessary. So far I've just rinsed it off with hose whilst washing car. I usually wash it every 3 days or so and wax of some sort every 2 weeks.

The smell was gone the next day, btw!

Do watch what you wash the top with as lint tends to stay easily. I'd suggest a good microfiber towel as they tend to leave no lint behind and are very gentle on surfaces.

I use a washing mitt when the top needs to be shampooed. Then I use a lint roller to get rid of the lint when the top dries.
When I started using a microfiber towel, I no longer had that problem! Give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a washing mitt when the top needs to be shampooed. Then I use a lint roller to get rid of the lint when the top dries.

When I started using a microfiber towel, I no longer had that problem! Give it a try.

I have used RaggTopp for over 5 years on both my Boxsters. A treatment can last over two years so it really does a good job. I use a synthetic chamois to dry my top. I just blot the moisture off. Leaves very little lint behind.

When drying your soft top, have you tried using a wet/dry shop vacuum to remove the water? Not only does the top dry without lint, but by sucking up the residual water, you also remove any dirt that is still in the fabric.

before I go sucking crazy, how powerful is your wet dry shop vac? I've got one of these industrial strength styles that can suck harder than a two bit ... well, lets not go there.

also, are you using the rectangular attachment or just the circular host opening itself?

Regards

I'll be washing my dad's 987 S soon, but I've never dealt with a softop before. Is there anything I should avoid doing in particular? Will car soap and water suffice for a basic wash? To dry it, I have some microfiber waffle weave towels and an electric leaf blower.

• Moderators
before I go sucking crazy, how powerful is your wet dry shop vac? I've got one of these industrial strength styles that can suck harder than a two bit ... well, lets not go there.

also, are you using the rectangular attachment or just the circular host opening itself?

Regards

My shop vacuum is a Sears 2.5 hp model, and it has a rectangular attachment. I run the tip at a slight angle across the top so that it pulls in air and water as I move it across the top. Works great, and makes for a cleaner top after washing. No soap or hard water residue.