Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

radio removal tools stuck

A little help please:

I just inserted my Becker removal tools into the CDR220 in my MY00 996.

The keys went in just as pictured here by Loren not long ago. I felt the expected spring tension as they went into position. Upon reaching their limit, they could not be removed. Neither could the radio .... at least to the limit of how hard I was willing to pull.

So now, I'm riding around with the removal tools sticking out of the slots.

I've never pulled the Becker before, but have removed plenty of other brands, including the Blaupunkt from my 928. I expected to simply insert the tools, feel the release, and pull the radio out.

Lacking that, I certainly expected to be able to remove the tools themselves.

Any suggestions? Have I missed some obvious step?

Kim

2000 Cab

mine was stuck so tightly that i needed to use pliers on both rings to pull it out, it felt as if there was adhesive holding it but I found no evidence of it, once it let go the first time it was still very snug and I still needed pliers each time I've pulled it since

then to get them out I had to push the radio's clips in from the sides to release the rings, they wouldn't let go on their own no matter what

mine was stuck so tightly that i needed to use pliers on both rings to pull it out, it felt as if there was adhesive holding it but I found no evidence of it, once it let go the first time it was still very snug and I still needed pliers each time I've pulled it since

then to get them out I had to push the radio's clips in from the sides to release the rings, they wouldn't let go on their own no matter what

Kim,

I had the same problem on my 1999 boxster. The keys are stuck because it locks into the mechanism in the radio, in order to release the keys, you need to manually push down on the locking mechanism through the side of the radio, however, in order to do this, you need to take the radio out.

The radio is not locked in place in any way, it's just stuck in there because of friction. What I did (and what you should probably do) is remove the A/C unit or whatever unit that sits on top of your radio. Then take your hand, reach back there and PULL the radio out with your hands from the back, this way you can move the radio easier without yanking on the keys. Once the radio comes out, you will be able to access the sides of where the key is stuck, push down on the locking mechanism, and pull out the keys.

- Mike

P.S. When you put the radio back in, you will probably need to use your keys again to depress the mechanism, but this time, only push the keys in just enough to retract the locking mechanisms but not so far that the keys will lock into place.

Thanks to both of you. After reading your posts, I simply pulled harder. That extra effort, maybe combined with bumps from the ride that I just completed, did the trick. Until I read your posts, I was not willing to pull that hard. In my previous 928, the Blaupunkt slid out like a server from a rack, with no resistance at all.

This forum is always great .... but same day service is more than I expected.

Kim

2000 Cab

Thanks to both of you. After reading your posts, I simply pulled harder. That extra effort, maybe combined with bumps from the ride that I just completed, did the trick. Until I read your posts, I was not willing to pull that hard. In my previous 928, the Blaupunkt slid out like a server from a rack, with no resistance at all.

This forum is always great .... but same day service is more than I expected.

Kim

2000 Cab

To remove, all you have to do is push in the blue metal tabs on the side of the radio, keys will slide out effortlessly... Ross