Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Belt stains Savanna Beige leather....

I had this problem on my ’99 w/Savanna Beige leather (996), and I now have an ’04 C4S Cab with the same Savanna Beige leather. Had it nearly two years.

My leather belts apparently rub off on the leather, creating a 2” high darker stripe across the seat. It really pisses me off. I’m no fatty either: 6’, 175. The dealer used some lacquer thinner one time on the ’99, and it did take some off, but nothing major.

I detailed this weekend, and I tried mild first: Lexol Leather Cleaner. I let it sit on the stain for about 5 minutes, then wiped it off. Nothing much. Repeated, nothing again. Then I tried warm sudsy water and a soft toothbrush, working the suds in a bit, letting it sit 5 minutes. Again, nothing much. I even tried a tiny bit of mineral spirits, but it did very little as well.

My leather belts are high quality, so I don’t understand why they keep depositing small bits into the Savanna, but they are mostly woven, dark brown, so I know that is the cause. And no one makes a Savanna Beige belt, or I’d be all set!

Anyone have this problem or a resolution? Graphite or Savanna would (I assume) have similar problems like this.

Thanks!

I had this problem on my ’99 w/Savanna Beige leather (996), and I now have an ’04 C4S Cab with the same Savanna Beige leather. Had it nearly two years.

My leather belts apparently rub off on the leather, creating a 2” high darker stripe across the seat. It really pisses me off. I’m no fatty either: 6’, 175. The dealer used some lacquer thinner one time on the ’99, and it did take some off, but nothing major.

I detailed this weekend, and I tried mild first: Lexol Leather Cleaner. I let it sit on the stain for about 5 minutes, then wiped it off. Nothing much. Repeated, nothing again. Then I tried warm sudsy water and a soft toothbrush, working the suds in a bit, letting it sit 5 minutes. Again, nothing much. I even tried a tiny bit of mineral spirits, but it did very little as well.

My leather belts are high quality, so I don’t understand why they keep depositing small bits into the Savanna, but they are mostly woven, dark brown, so I know that is the cause. And no one makes a Savanna Beige belt, or I’d be all set!

Anyone have this problem or a resolution? Graphite or Savanna would (I assume) have similar problems like this.

Thanks!

First...stop wearing the belt. :D

Second I found the best product for maintaining, cleaning and conditioning leather is a product called leatherique. It's a two stage and a time consuming process but the results blow away anything from Lexol or other "premium" leather care products. The first step is the oil which you massage in with your hands and let the leather absorb it as much as possible (minium at least 24 hours). It has a capillary action...the seats absorb all the good stuff and it expels all the bad stuff. Lifting out stains, salts, oils, etc to the surface. Then you use the Pristine clean to clean off.....wipe off with a moist microfiber cloth and then buff it out with a dry microfiber cloth and it gives us a reconditioned smooth matte...not shiney surface. amazing.

I have the same problem on my 2000.. It really pi__ me off I like my things to look really clean but maintaining that color is not easy at all. Specially on a cab. So Leatherique cleans well? Ive tried leather cleaners and nothing has helped me so far. I was going to have someone re-dye the seats. Also the console is always chiping.. I need to color match that so i can touch it up.

I was told a tip by a top class valet - don't know if you can get it in the USA;

Autoglym glass cleaner.

It's alcohol based.

I've had exactly the same problem, and it completely removed the dark leather belt stains on savannah. I sued a tooth brush to get 'into the grain' and then wiped off. finished off with a std cleaner & protector. Looks new.

David

I have the same problem on my 2000.. It really pi__ me off I like my things to look really clean but maintaining that color is not easy at all. Specially on a cab. So Leatherique cleans well? Ive tried leather cleaners and nothing has helped me so far. I was going to have someone re-dye the seats. Also the console is always chiping.. I need to color match that so i can touch it up.

Jorge.

If used properly the leathrique products could yield some stunning results. The ferrari guys swear by the stuff and I'm super anal when it comes to interior of the vehicle. If your seats are really damaged and fading you can contact leathrique to get a color corrected sample dye to use. If the color is good but your leather is dry, cracked and wrinkled then all you need is the oil and pristine clean. I personally use the leathrique products every six months or so and in between I use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner to maintain. I have a MY 99 996 which is my daily driver and the seats look and smell new. BTW: I don't work or have any affilation with leatherique.

Most leather is dyed and will "bleed" onto another surface if it has constant contact or rubs. You will not be able to prevent the bleeding unless the belts are coated with a leather sealer, and even then the sealer may rub off at some point. The conditioner will help protect and reduce the bleeding, but not eliminate it. Get belts that match your interior is the only solution to be 100% sure of no {visible} bleeding. Leather is very porous and will absorb other mediums and can be very difficult to revive. See an upholstery expert who knows leather since they can match your interior with a leather paint and protect it as well. Trust me, see a pro on this and you'll be glad you did. It won't cost you more than $50. Let us know...

Really appreciate all the advice. I spoke with the expert, Larry Reynolds, at CarCareOnline.com, and he was well aware of the problem.

Coach Leather uses vegetable dyes. The seats are anilyn dyed. The fact that so much fiber from the belt is exposed from the 'twisted' design leaves a lot of dye to transfer.

Larry's recommendation was to use P21S Citrus Degreaser, which I did, followed by lots of water (wet cloths) and then dry, then Lexol conditioner.

I did it in about 30 minutes, but it still shows. :(

I may try leatherique, but still not sure. Wondering about swapping the inserts on the uppers from passenger to driver. Anyone try that? How best to pull them out? Easy, simple?

Thanks.

I would strongly suggest you speak with someone who specializes in treating leather, not caring for it,..it's too late for that. Vegetable dyes bleed, too. In fact, they bleed so well you can't remove the stains they leave behind. Vegetable dyes have been around for thousands of years, the Incas used them to dye their clothing and costumes. Today's dies are made up of more than 20 different formulas depending on the amount of money the manufacturer cares to invest. Red, to this day, is a rare color and more expensive than any other color. You may need to repaint the area that has absorbed the dye, which isn't a really big deal. You will never know it's been done. All the high-end dealers have these guys visit their dealerships and touch-up their cars. Call Porsche or Mercedes for a referral. In addition, the area they treat and paint is less likely to absorb colors than the leather itself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...