Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY 3.8 Air Cleaner change?

• Admin

1. The 3.8 liter engine has a switch resonator installed in the air cleaner housing. In order to remove the air cleaner housing, the cable plug must be disconnected from the electric switch−over valve 1.

post-2-1142444617.png

2. Unclip the tandem pump vacuum line from the air cleaner housing.

Note - the rubber sleeves for securing the air cleaner housing

Disconnect plug connection on the hot film mass air flow meter 2. Press together the locking lever on the plug and pull the plug off the flange. Unclip the connection lead at the omega clips.

post-2-1142444739.png

3. a. Undo the threaded sleeve for the rubber moulding of the air cleaner housing from the throttle body 1

b. Unclip the oil filling pipe from the air cleaner housing 3 and then lift the air cleaner housing out of the fastening lug 4.

4. Unclip the switch−over valve for the switch resonator from the housing bracket 1 detach the vacuum line from the housing 2 and disconnect from the resonator.

Note - The air cleaner housing should not be cleaned on the outside with strong cleaning agents.

5. Lift the air cleaner housing completely out of the engine compartment. If necessary, the outside of the housing can be cleaned using a damp cloth and some washing−up liquid. Then, lay the housing on a soft surface to avoid scratching the painted surface.

"Then remove the 8 screws".

post-2-1142444471.png

Install is in the reverse order.

If this works okay then let me know and we'll move this to the 997 DIY section.

The manual says "Remove the air cleaner housing".

1. The 3.8 liter engine has a switch resonator installed in the air cleaner housing. In order to remove the air cleaner housing, the cable plug must be disconnected from the electric switch?over valve 1.

post-2-1142444617.png

Disconnect plug connection on the hot film mass air flow meter 2. Press together the locking lever on the plug and pull the plug off the flange. Unclip the connection lead at the omega clips.

post-2-1142444739.png

3. a. Undo the threaded sleeve for the rubber moulding of the air cleaner housing from the throttle body 1

b. Unclip the oil filling pipe from the air cleaner housing 3 and then lift the air cleaner housing out of the fastening lug 4.

4. Unclip the switch?over valve for the switch resonator from the housing bracket 1 detach the vacuum line from the housing 2 and disconnect from the resonator.

Note - The air cleaner housing should not be cleaned on the outside with strong cleaning agents.

5. Lift the air cleaner housing completely out of the engine compartment. If necessary, the outside of the housing can be cleaned using a damp cloth and some washing?up liquid. Then, lay the housing on a soft surface to avoid scratching the painted surface.

post-2-1142444471.png

Thank's Loren!

The directions were perfect,

I just took a bit of careful time figuring out the Disconnect plug connection on the hot film mass air flow meter..seems the locking lever is on the back side

• 5 months later...

The manual says "Remove the air cleaner housing".

1. The 3.8 liter engine has a switch resonator installed in the air cleaner housing. In order to remove the air cleaner housing, the cable plug must be disconnected from the electric switch?over valve 1.

post-2-1142444617.png

post-2-1142444739.png

4. Unclip the switch?over valve for the switch resonator from the housing bracket 1 detach the vacuum line from the housing 2 and disconnect from the resonator.

5. Lift the air cleaner housing completely out of the engine compartment. If necessary, the outside of the housing can be cleaned using a damp cloth and some washing?up liquid. Then, lay the housing on a soft surface to avoid scratching the painted surface.

post-2-1142444471.png

Thank's Loren!

The directions were perfect,

I just took a bit of careful time figuring out the Disconnect plug connection on the hot film mass air flow meter..seems the locking lever is on the back side

I replaced the air filter and it took me about 45 minutes. I might have spent some time cleaning the parts once I had them out. I lost a rubber bushing that the air cleaner sits on but I found it the next day.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
post-2-1142444739.png

b. Unclip the oil filling pipe from the air cleaner housing. . .4.

Is there a trick to unclipping the oil filling pipe from the air cleaner housing? It was so reluctant the first time I tried it to add a quart of oil, I thought I might have broken off one of the clips. Thanks.

Edited by 355bhp

• 11 months later...

Just changed the filter. A couple things that I would pay attention to...

The two rubber grommets that go around the two "feet" of the airbox. One of mine was missing (obviously for the last filter change.) They are easy to lose so make sure you keep track of them.

Also there is a small vacuum hose that is not present on the 996. Make sure you detach that. It's right below the switch resonator (#1 in the DIY.)

Payed $20 for a Mahle filter. Same exact filter and manufacturer without the Porsche name on the box. About a 45 minute job (depending on how anal you are about cleaning.)

Amazing a dealer charges $225 for this. :o I'm in the wrong business. :D

Great time to change your polyrib drive belt if it's due (and clean your throttle body.)

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

• 1 year later...

Also Mann filter distributed by Amsoil is identical to Porsche one less the Porsche logo imprinted on filtering element.

Can someone explain purpose of several rubbery (latex??) windows at the bottom of filter housing.

And on another note, some automated car washes require you to idle your engine and move your car forward while in the booth. Any possibility to hydrolock the engine given short path between outside of the car and throttle body.

• 11 months later...

hello! could anybody help me to change the air filter of my 997 S 3.8 pdk fuel injection ? The air box is very diferent of this diagrams. Anybody use bmc air filters? thanks koji são paulo / brazil

• 3 years later...
  • Admin

GUys I thought this diy would cover it but I cant this plug on the back of the air box off? its right next to the oil filler arm on the back of the box. 997

"2. Press together the locking lever on the plug and pull the plug off the flange. Unclip the connection lead at the omega clips. "

Thanks Loren, no it was something else, I figured out that it does not get removed. It was the vacuum hose thing on the back of the resonator box. It connects to the solenoid thing. 

I disconnected the other vacuum hose to the bottom of the solenoid so I could remove the air box. 

What are these vacuum hoses for? one of them goes from the solenoid and disappears into the engine cams... these aren't high pressure hoses are they? 

Edited by no1joey