Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Low Dust Brake Pads for 996

Gang,

I've searched through the archives and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find out who makes a low dust brake pad for an 03 996 Carrera.

I don't plan to track the car. Just something that will cut down on the brake dust (if possible).

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance...

-Charles

Raleigh, NC

Here's what I did based on advice from Orient Express, wash them with mild soap or P21S. Use 3M adhesive cleaner to get them perfectly clean. Final step is Rejex. Dust doesn't stick and very easy to clean, either rinse or wipe. A lot cheaper/easier than pads.

Anyone try this stuff?

Michelin™ Brake Dust Repellent

Brake dust, the soot generated by brake pads as they wear, isn't just ugly—it can cause permanent damage if left on wheels too long. Michelin™ Brake Dust Repellent features patented technology that works at the molecular level to form a protective polymer barrier that prevents brake dust, dirt, and grime from adhering to wheels and tires. When applied regularly, Michelin Brake Dust Repellent helps keep wheels cleaner longer and cuts future cleaning time.

I found it at Michelinman.com

mark

Mark- My kid bought me a can of this stuff for my Birthday last year. Spray it on wipe it off. Ididn't think it made any difference at all. Certainly not worth the price.

I have a cheap can of turtle wax platinum car wax. wipe a bit on my wheels after a wash. by the time I finish the 4th wheel it's ready to be wiped off the first. Way better than anything else I've tried for brake dust. This wax actually looks good on the whole car... Still my p-car gets the whole Optimum than P21S treatment.

Several on this and other forums swear by Rejex for wheels but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Brad

The criteria for brake pads should NEVER be anything but BRAKING HP and lack of fading, the more the better. It's a whole lot easier to clean wheels than it is to stand up with 6 feet of dirt on top of you. If by the time I install the second set of pads my rotors aren't worn down to the point of discarding them my brake pads aren't EATING themseleves nor the rotors fast enough.

Edited by wwest