Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Locked out

2002 UK RHD 986S.

A couple of weeks ago, I parked the car in the garage. To give enough clearance to get past the car, I parked with the driver's door right up against the wall and popped over the passenger seat and got out of the passenger door. However, as you all pick yourselves up off the floor from laughing, you'll realise I'm locked out of the car. The alarm has gone into the sleep/shutdown mode (after 5 days) and I obviously can't get to the drivers door - let alone unlock it. I can't get the windows down - as the remote will not respond. I can't tow the car out of the garage as the handbrake is on and the wheels are steered towards the wall. I suppose I could try to release the bonnet (hood) with the emergency cable, but what then? If I disconnect then reconnect the battery, will this bring the Central Locking out of sleep mode? As the car is UK spec, when I disconnect the battery, the alarm will sound as you have to disconnect with the ignition switched on...

The alarm will sound as soon as you open the bonnet (since your's is a UK-spec car, you should be able to get to the cable from the passenger side wheel well)... Then if you disconnect the battery, the alarm should stop (although a UK-spec car may be different - if it's Thatcham-approved it probably won't stop going off!). Wait a few minutes, reconnect the battery, and (hopefully) that'll reset your alarm and let you use the remote key to unlock the car. When I reconnected my battery after 10 days of no use, my keyfob worked straight away, so hopefully yours will be the same!

However, if your car does have an alarm battery backup, then it might not work... Good news is that UK law requires the alarm to silence after 2 mins anyway! ;)

Alternatively, wear some very soft clothing and try and climb over the car from the rear (no weight on the roof though), and see if you can reach the door lock... Need to be very careful not damage anything - if you can get a small girl to do it that will minimise the weight! (unless you are a girl - I can't tell from your nickname, and you didn't leave a name!!)

Thanks!

Shash

It can't be that close to the wall that you cant get to it seriously. Get a blanket and lay it on your trunk, then lay on the trunk/fender of your car and reach upto the door.

It's a pretty small car if you can't get to it then there is something wrong. Borrow your neighbours 5 year old and put him on the car and hold him by the feet so he can unlock it.

Honestly, you should be able to reach it no matter what. Just stretch over get get it done.

Correct me if Im wrong, but this happened to me, you,

Just unlock the car with the key (the alarm will go off) then start the car (the cars management will then recgonise the radio chip inside the key fob and turn the alarm off.

It will then come out of sleep mode

Russ, I would love to be able to do what you suggested, in fact, I've done that many times before, but if you have a quick look at my original post, the driver's door is right up against the wall :D

The car is still stored for winter so I'm going to have to try something soon, even if I have to tow/drag it out of the garage with wheels locked.

opps, my appologise.

is it so close to the wall that you could not open the door a tiny bit.

I.E, climb very carefully on to the wing (lay a quilt over it) then unlokc the door and open as far as you can, then if you can slide your arm over the top of the do and get the key in to the ignotion switch??

Another idea, can you get hold of two, better still, four trolley jacks (cheap to buy) then get four people, jack up under each lower suspension arm, and very very very slowly and gently drag the car out

It might activate the tilt sensor, but might get you out

You only need to move it slightly diagonal to get to the drivers door.