Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

15k service due, should I take it to dealer because of my RMS?

so I drove a lot since november and just turned 14k miles, I figure I'll hit 15k in a month but some time before then my regular warrantee runs out and the CPO kicks in

I know the majority of the service I can handle, my question is this, is it worth bringing the car in for them to do the inspection and get the RMS replaced if the see fit? I understand the cost to be $350-500 so the parts would be a good bit less ($150ish I figure)

here's the rms

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?&...gallery&id=1185

it doesn't drip in the garage, nor has my oil level dropped noticably over the 5k miles (not even a bar on the digital display)

any advice?

thanks,

Tom

Edited by stumpjumper

Have them fix the RMS under warranty and have the car fully inspected. Have coolant and other fluids checked.

Pay for an oil filter change and oil itself should be free while RMS is done. 2 birds with one stone.

wow that was stupid of me, I somehow forgot that the oil needs to come out to do the RMS :P

• Moderators

From the looks of this photo, you may not have a weeping RMS. That brown/black stuff on the bellhousing is cosmoline that has picked up road grime. It does not look like there is any shinny oil that would indicate a leak.

But no harm in letting your warranty dealer confirm that. You don't have to bribe your dealer with letting them do your oil change to get warranty service, just go down and ask them to look at it. A technician can tell very quickly by looking at the gunk on the bellhousing if it is oil from the RMS/IMS or just road grime.

Ditto on what Orient Express said. If it is RMS, definitely make sure the oil filter is changed (which isn't done unless asked). You'll need to change the cabin filter as well (5 min close to the battery under front trunk).

You said you are losing oil but the oil level hasn't dropped. Check oil level when engine is cold with the dip stick when car is flat. The pic doesn't seem like RMS to me either.

Ditto on what Orient Express said. If it is RMS, definitely make sure the oil filter is changed (which isn't done unless asked). You'll need to change the cabin filter as well (5 min close to the battery under front trunk).

You said you are losing oil but the oil level hasn't dropped. Check oil level when engine is cold with the dip stick when car is flat. The pic doesn't seem like RMS to me either.

yup, it's lost what I'm guessing as 1/2 a digital bar, sometimes it shows 1 down, sometimes it shows full, on the stick it's just a smidge lower than when i got it so I don't think it's dropped 1/2 a quart and I figured that since the car was used so little before I bought it that this would be normal for a little while

guess I'll take it in just to be safe, that's a fair gamble :)

One bar is NOT a quart....

The bars are about 1/5th of a quart ... consider that the 2 marks off to the left of the bars indicate max and min and the difference is 1.25 litres per my owner's manual page 76 and there are about 6 bars between those 2 marks. Since 1.25 litres = 1.32 quarts and dividing by 6 you get .22 quarts per bar.

And, you should be down 1 bar from the top as the max line is between the top and second bar so there is no harm if the top bar in unlit.

A fluctuation between on and off is probably attributable to the difference in the time you have allowed the oil to settle and how warm the engine oil was when you took the readings.