Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My CarPuter Project

Well, where to begin. I will be installing an aOpen PC with a 7" Lilliput touch screen into my car. Additional add-ons have not been decided yet. GPS definitely, but we'll cross that bridge when the unit is in and working.

First of all, here is the car we are working with - a 2000 Boxster 2.7L.

porsche.jpg

This is what the dash looks like before modification started.

80_4.jpg

I moved the AC Controls and the Radio all the way down leaving this opening. I've also ordered a replacement display from Becker of America to compensate for the new viewing angle of the radio. They sell me the new display (without the polarized display) for $150 and give me a $100 credit when I return my existing display. Not a bad deal.

dash.jpg

Here is the issue. In order to get the dash frame out, I first have to remove the two rows of buttons on either side (highlighted in blue in the image below)

opening2.JPG

Getting them off is not the problem - that's easy. The issue is when they are removed, and the panel is taken off, it looks like this. (This one is silver, but mine looks pretty much the same)

center_dash.jpg

Since the side buttons have to be able to snap back on to this piece after fabrication and incorporation of the TFT bezel, I'm wondering how I am going to get this to work.

The TFT doesn't arrive until the 6th, and I'll be dremmeling away at my current dash frame piece (that middle bar for example has to go). but in the mean time, if someone has some fabrication tips for this sort of thing, it would be appreciated.

More soon . . .

Todd

What OS are you going to run on this? I'm guessing data input will be a pain in the butt. Are you going to try and use a touch screen keyboard? I'm a computer guy but it seems to me this will not be very user friendly. I'm curious to hear more...

Jon

What OS are you going to run on this? I'm guessing data input will be a pain in the butt. Are you going to try and use a touch screen keyboard? I'm a computer guy but it seems to me this will not be very user friendly. I'm curious to hear more...

Jon

The screen is touch-screen and it will be running Windows XP with a front end called RoadRunner.

center_dash.jpg

Since the side buttons have to be able to snap back on to this piece after fabrication and incorporation of the TFT bezel, I'm wondering how I am going to get this to work.

The TFT doesn't arrive until the 6th, and I'll be dremmeling away at my current dash frame piece (that middle bar for example has to go). but in the mean time, if someone has some fabrication tips for this sort of thing, it would be appreciated.

More soon . . .

Todd

I am also dremmeling new speaker mount kit this week, my fabrication tips.. just heavy duty tape surrounding area you need to protect... also use sheet metal to protect area you don't want to to be touch by accident... some times dremel can go high speed and slip out from my hand... oops. sheet metal really helps for protection.

Goodluck! and be brave...

Edited by vfxbox

center_dash.jpg

More soon . . .

Todd

I am also dremmeling new speaker mount kit this week, my fabrication tips.. just heavy duty tape surrounding area you need to protect... also use sheet metal to protect area you don't want to to be touch by accident... some times dremel can go high speed and slip out from my hand... oops. sheet metal really helps for protection.

Goodluck! and be brave...

This is advice that should go to anyone working on any component of their dash. The dremel can get out of control so quickly.

Well done.

Todd

oh, like this? :) i'm actually running XP now, (and i removed the stick on aluminum trim.)

2240.jpg

here's a shot of the MediaCar front-end.

2357.jpg

NICE

How much did that cost you total.

you could add carbon fiber trim .it will look really nice. you could buy the sheet for $20-$60 cut it and add 3M to it. where do u keep the computer.

I Have only two speakers on my car .can you any one tell me what are the best speakers that you could fit into ur doors.

thanks

boxster

Edited by nightghost

oh, like this? :) i'm actually running XP now, (and i removed the stick on aluminum trim.)

That is SWEET!!!!

I'll be taking the LCD out of the case and mounting it in the space then placing the DVD slot-loading drive beneith that.

Where oh where did you get that awsome skin for MediaCenter????

Thanks,

Todd

That is SWEET!!!!

I'll be taking the LCD out of the case and mounting it in the space then placing the DVD slot-loading drive beneith that.

Thanks,

Todd

Can't wait to see your work. Wish you very best.

Okay, we have an update. The Lilliput 7" screen arrived, and it's such a perfect fit, I decided to mount it "As-Is" I put some double sided sticky pads around the unit, and it fit like a dream.

one.jpg

Then I sealed the whole thing with basic tub calk.

two.jpg

Then I realized that I probably should have removed the screen and back unit before I calked. Once the calk set, I couldn't get the back panel off. That means I have to spray it with the screen in place. Not my first choice.

three.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well. It has a factory look, and I didn't have to remove anything from the casing. Now I need to focus of power . . . the inverter is just not a good idea.

four.jpg

Okay, we have an update. The Lilliput 7" screen arrived, and it's such a perfect fit, I decided to mount it "As-Is" I put some double sided sticky pads around the unit, and it fit like a dream.

four.jpg

Is that a touch screen? I am just curious.

i think i got it over at mp3car.com. look in the MediaCar section, then look in skins. search for porsche. i can email them to you if you want. i haven't completed the color on all of the skins, but you can have what i have if you want.

How much did that cost you total.

total for the whole carputer project? maybe $350, not including the laptop and countless hours of searching for info, parts, trial-and-error, troubleshooting, throwing things and cursing. :censored:

I Have only two speakers on my car .can you any one tell me what are the best speakers that you could fit into ur doors.

i'm not sure, but i think you can get 6" in there. not sure if you know, but the door speakers are just subs. you don't get any mids or treble through them. you would be much better off adding an aftermarket subwoofer made specifically for boxsters, which will be much better quality than the stock subs. you might want to upgrade your stereo head unit as well. the Nakamichi CD-400 is a nice choice.

Edited by Chris_in_NH

• 3 weeks later...

Todd, it's looking good. I have a question though. Are you going to cover the caulk with anything or leave it visible? I know you painted it but it looks a little unfinished due to the waviness.

I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to do when I get that far. fiberglass, perhaps.

Chris, top notch! Just curious as to why you chose Media Car? I've been playing with FrodoPlayer. So far I like it. :shrug: I'm not against change if it's for the better. :)

Reese

Todd, it's looking good. I have a question though. Are you going to cover the caulk with anything or leave it visible? I know you painted it but it looks a little unfinished due to the waviness.

Thanks Reese!

Yea, Im going to eventually pull the thing back out and do some surface bondo to get it to look a bit better. I've got some completed pictures and will be posting them shortly!

Thanks Reese!

Yea, Im going to eventually pull the thing back out and do some surface bondo to get it to look a bit better. I've got some completed pictures and will be posting them shortly!

This looks really good. If i wanted to add an 7" LCD screen and Dvd player to my car would this be compatible with the Porsche CDR-22 stereo. Also could you list the cables and other equipment i would need please?

Thank You

Karl

This looks really good. If i wanted to add an 7" LCD screen and Dvd player to my car would this be compatible with the Porsche CDR-22 stereo. Also could you list the cables and other equipment i would need please?

Thank You

Karl

First of all, Thanks! :)

I am not very familiar with the CDR-22 - I can only assume it is similar to the CDR-220. If we run with that assumption, call Becker (not sure where you are, but I called Becker of North America) and request the wiring kit to allow AUX input into your system.

I simply added this wire to my CDR-220, and plugged it directly into the AUDIO OUT plug on the PC that is in the car. Then, any audio coming from my PC (such as the audio from a DVD) gets run through the factory amp, and the factory HU and then to the speaker system of the car. Quite enjoyable.

The best part about doing this mod, is that the 7" touch screens fit so wonderfully into the upper dash portion of the Boxster. I only had about 1/2 cm of gap all the way around my Lilliput screen which I filled with cauk and painted over.

The screen is not very heavy, so the filling compound does not have to be strong enough to carry any real weight. I find cauk works wonderfully.

I still need to put some bondo compound over the cauk for that "factory feel" which is to be completed this weekend.

More pics soon!

By the way - I have the radioSHARK and have tried about 15 different solutions to get reception with no luck.

More soon,

Todd

Thank You

Karl

First of all, Thanks! :)

I am not very familiar with the CDR-22 - I can only assume it is similar to the CDR-220. If we run with that assumption, call Becker (not sure where you are, but I called Becker of North America) and request the wiring kit to allow AUX input into your system.

I simply added this wire to my CDR-220, and plugged it directly into the AUDIO OUT plug on the PC that is in the car. Then, any audio coming from my PC (such as the audio from a DVD) gets run through the factory amp, and the factory HU and then to the speaker system of the car. Quite enjoyable.

The best part about doing this mod, is that the 7" touch screens fit so wonderfully into the upper dash portion of the Boxster. I only had about 1/2 cm of gap all the way around my Lilliput screen which I filled with cauk and painted over.

The screen is not very heavy, so the filling compound does not have to be strong enough to carry any real weight. I find cauk works wonderfully.

I still need to put some bondo compound over the cauk for that "factory feel" which is to be completed this weekend.

More pics soon!

By the way - I have the radioSHARK and have tried about 15 different solutions to get reception with no luck.

More soon,

Todd

Sounds good!

I'm thinking about buying a Centurion FD 7569 LCD screen + Centurion DVD-899 + FM modulator. I will plug the FM modulator into the stereo then run the DVD player and possibly daisy chain a TV FreeView tuner off the DVD player. I was thinking about putting a computer into the car but i think this will cost alot more money.

What did you need to use the dremel for? Was that used to modify the Centre Console frame.

How long did it take to install everything?

Thanks

Karl

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been working on this for a while, and thought I would give an update. The project is all installed and finished. I've attached some images of screen captures of different screens on the system.

The theme is VERY Flash intensive. The main menu has about 4 flash apps running. Of course you can't see them in these static images, but looks pretty cool. All the number columns auto populate and more and more.

Let me know what you all think. This was done with Macromedia Fireworks.

Below is the main menu

1.jpg

Next is the Audio Player

2.jpg

Here is the Audio Browser

3.jpg

Here is my Phone control

4.jpg

And this is the Apps screen.

5.jpg

There are others, but these are the main ones.

Just thought I'd share.

Todd