Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing Spinlocks

I searched for this before posting - couldn't find much... I am buying a hardtop for my 2001 and I've got to install "spinlocks". They drop in pretty easy with the top down, but getting to the bolt that secures them looks impossible without removing trim panels. Now, if this were my ex-wife's car I'd use a pry bar. I'm a little scared to start pulling on the panels behind the seat. I've read about hex nuts near the roll bar, but I can't find them, all I found were what feel like plastic screws under the rear speaker locations. No way to get to them that I can see. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got $115 tied up in two bolts and two brackets (obscene) and I remain quite puzzled.

Thanks for any replies.

I searched for this before posting - couldn't find much... I am buying a hardtop for my 2001 and I've got to install "spinlocks". They drop in pretty easy with the top down, but getting to the bolt that secures them looks impossible without removing trim panels. Now, if this were my ex-wife's car I'd use a pry bar. I'm a little scared to start pulling on the panels behind the seat. I've read about hex nuts near the roll bar, but I can't find them, all I found were what feel like plastic screws under the rear speaker locations. No way to get to them that I can see. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've got $115 tied up in two bolts and two brackets (obscene) and I remain quite puzzled.

Thanks for any replies.

You don't need to remove the panels. Get a 7-9 inch 5mm Hex wrench. Put the bolt on the wrench- put a plastic bag over the tip of the bolt and punch through the bag just enough for the bolt to thread (preventing the bolt from falling off and down the side of the car) and then angle the bolt to the spinlock area. The top must be up and it helps if you have a little flashlight to illuminate the spinlock.

... and it helps if you have a little flashlight to illuminate the spinlock.

:lol: Yep, I had an LED heat torch on when trying to fit mine. Exactly as described by 'AS2003' fit the spinlocks with the hood down, raise the roof and you can get in with a long 5mm Alen key (wrench). Instead of the plastic bag technique, I utilised the piece of string technique. The head of the spinlock bolt is big enough to tie a piece of string round, keep it taught and once the bolt bites you can just pull hard on the string to pull your knot out.

Are you aware of how to do the full adjustment of the hardtop once fitted? With every car being different, it will not just click down perfectly on first install.

Edited by 0586slb

... and it helps if you have a little flashlight to illuminate the spinlock.

:lol: Yep, I had an LED heat torch on when trying to fit mine. Exactly as described by 'AS2003' fit the spinlocks with the hood down, raise the roof and you can get in with a long 5mm Alen key (wrench). Instead of the plastic bag technique, I utilised the piece of string technique. The head of the spinlock bolt is big enough to tie a piece of string round, keep it taught and once the bolt bites you can just pull hard on the string to pull your knot out.

Are you aware of how to do the full adjustment of the hardtop once fitted? With every car being different, it will not just click down perfectly on first install.

You mean it won't just drop in perfectly? Half-kidding - what has to be done if adjustment is required?

Thanks to all for the answers and the pics!

Thank you for all the help (and the pics)! I now have spinlocks but my source sold the top before I could get it. If anyone hears of an AS top available, let me know. I'm getting e-mail notification of replies so I'll write back immediately if I hear from anyone. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
Thank you for all the help (and the pics)! I now have spinlocks but my source sold the top before I could get it. If anyone hears of an AS top available, let me know. I'm getting e-mail notification of replies so I'll write back immediately if I hear from anyone. Thanks again!

I can't tell where you are located, so I don't know if any of these tops are close to you. I managed to find five. I'm picking one of them up on Friday. :)

There is also one in California, one in Washington, DC, one in Philadelphia and one in Virginia Beach. Two of them are advertised on Porsche Pete's Boxser Board. The one in California is on eBay and the auction ends tonight. Good luck with your search.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
You will need to adjust the top to the car with these allen bolts. They are under a plastic cover on each side of the top.

Newbie here. Just installed spin lock and a hard top. I have a 03 boxster S. The top is a 98 Boxster.

Although the hard top locks in place. The fit is not quite 'right'. I suspect I need to adjust the hard top to fit my car. Can you tell me where these allen bolts are located? Near the spin lock bolts ?

Also how much clearance is needed? How do you judge how where to lock it in place?

Thanks

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
Covered in post #6 with a picture.

Thanks. I saw the link. I am not sure how to adjust the top so there is a good seal. So there is no leak (at the top of the windshield and windows when it is up). Also so the door can close without sticking.

Thanks

Larry