Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

squeeking in dash by passenger

The dash area on passenger side squeeks. I've tightened the torx screw on the side vent and dash speaker. I think the noise is coming from the passenger airbag cover. Is there a way I can remove the frong passenger airbag cover to put some felt or lube to quiet the noise? It sounds like leather or vinyl rubbing and does this when I hit rough pavement.

I believe so. You should disconnect the battery first, then there are 2 torx screws that hold it in place from behind. There was a picture somewhere here. I will see if I still have the link

The dash area on passenger side squeeks. I've tightened the torx screw on the side vent and dash speaker. I think the noise is coming from the passenger airbag cover. Is there a way I can remove the frong passenger airbag cover to put some felt or lube to quiet the noise? It sounds like leather or vinyl rubbing and does this when I hit rough pavement.

Another suggestion... My Carrera, like my previous Boxster, had squeaks from the air bag cover. There was sufficient play in the cover to allow me to insert small pieces of black weatherstripping without having to remove the cover.

The glove compartment door also squeaked and was cured with several strategically placed pieces of weatherstripping.

Best of luck.

Where do you get this weather stripping? Is it foam or rubber? Thanks!

The weather stripping I use is available at most hardware stores. The brand I have is M-K "Heavy Duty Window and Door Weatherstrip Tape". It is a black soft foam that has an adhesive on one side. It comes in 1/4" and 1/2" widths. Very useful stuff.

• 1 month later...

I got what sounds to be a similar problem 2 days a go on a bumpy road and now it comes all the time. It is kind of a tick tick sound. It is like plastic against plastic rubbing or leather against leather maybe. I thought it might be coming from the windshield at first. I have tried pushing on different areas to see if I can make it stop.

Izzy could you also send me the doc on air bag cover you have if possible to eben60@hotmail.com

Thanks

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
I have the same problem with the airbag cover! The lower part of it seems to be loose and it is making a very annoying sound. Can I have the info as well please? (PM?)
As a Contributing Member you can read TSB 1/00 7018 Noises In The Dashboard Area -- dated 6-30-00. That TSB has several fixes for noises in the dashboard and airbag areas.

I have read that TSB but I could not figure out how to remove the airbag cover. Apparently there are some bolts that must be evenly tightened but I could not figure out how to find them.

I was hoping for some step-by-step instructions on how to remove the cover so I don't do any damage trying to figure it our by myself.

• Admin

post-2-1150212992.png post-2-1150213009.png

Please observe the following points:

• The airbag unit must always be deposited so that the airbag opening faces upwards!

• If removed for an extended period, the airbag unit must be kept in a locked place!

• Observe the safety regulations!

1. Remove ignition key.

2. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.

3. Remove the air guide at the bottom right.

4. Undo the airbag unit from below and remove it rearward to the passenger's seat.

5. Disconnect the electrical plug connection.

6. Pullout the hinge pin on the airbag unit and remove the panel.

Tightening torque for fastening screws (2 screws M8 x 95): 15 ftlb. (20 Nm)

If you are sure about the location (airbag), go with the instructions given. I found out that the source of my noise is the bottom of the A pillar. As soon as I put a tad of pressure, it disappears. Still no idea how to solve my issue though :cursing: