Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID replacement bulb

Hello,

I have a '99 996 Cab with a burned out headlight bulb (HID style). The part number is Philips D2S 85123. These don't seem to be that common. However, the Philips D2S 85122 bulb is. The parts look similar. Can the more common 85122 bulb be used in lieu of the 85123?

Thanks

Peter

Easiest way is to just swap things from the working side to the failed side. HID bulbs can burn out, as the electrodes erode and stop liberating enough electrons or the repeated heating/cooling causes the gas to leech from the seals.

Easiest way is to just swap things from the working side to the failed side. HID bulbs can burn out, as the electrodes erode and stop liberating enough electrons or the repeated heating/cooling causes the gas to leech from the seals.

Thanks folks. I swapped the bulbs from side to side as suggested. The bad bulb stayed bad and the good bulb still lit. I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
I do not think it is your blub, becuase HID blub, do not burn out.... its just gas inside.

check your regulator

Any D2S bulb of 35 Watts should work.

umm... yes they do. They eventually fail just like any other bulb tho they have about a 2000hr life span. Generally you know they are bad as they look dim and a different color. Buy a replacement bulb and it will fix the problem.

The ballast/ignitor can also go bad, but it's much more common for the bulb to fail than the ballast.

• 1 month later...

Thanks folks. I swapped the bulbs from side to side as suggested. The bad bulb stayed bad and the good bulb still lit. I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Peter

May I ask what bulb you finally selected as a replacement? did you use the Phillips 85122?

Thanks.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I have a 2002 with litronic, mine both work, but i a want 6000k bulbs (yes i know they arent as bright). But i have now tried two different sets of D2S bulbs, both light up for a second, and then goes dark. If i put the stock bulbs back they work just fine. Any tips?

Ive fitted the same kind of 6000k bulb to other cars with no problems.

regards