Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1) You need all four wheels aligned for best results.

2) Depending on what you want to do with the car, the alignments differ

(street only, mild performance, etc).

3) Have a person experienced with P's to look at your tires whether you need alignment.

4) Prices seem to range from ~120$ - 350$, depending on where you go

(indy, dealer), though one lucky lister reported a ~60$ price.

5) Choose only an experienced alignment shop that either uses manual tools or the more advanced tools (Hunter 600?). Most regular alignment jigs cannot hold the necessary accuracy or repeatability. The tires for our cars are expensive, and you want to maximize your enjoyment of the vehicle.

Story: I recently failed by DE inspection because of excessive rear tire

wear. I was referred to an outstanding alignment shop and I was amazed what a difference the alignment made. The car handles dramatically better, without any major sacrifice to regular drivability. If there is interest in this mild street set up, I'll be happy to publish the specs. A second change was to run 32psi front and 36psi rear for the track versus the stock pressures.

This worked really, really well!

The best, most knowledgeable, and most reputable, in Salt Lake City charges $56.00 for a 4 wheel alignment. He did my 996 Carrera a few months ago and it handles terrific. He has also done a Jaguar XJS and an XKE for me and a 911 SC over 20 years ago. He is one that always did SCCA racers cars in the '60s,'70s and '80s and his son, who is not a young man runs the shop today. An experienced tech can do a 4 wheel alignment in 30-60 minutes including jockeying cars in and out of the bays. It is an easy and straight forward job on a relatively new car but many shops prey on the ignorance of customers and charge like it is an extremely difficult and super high tech operation to correctly align a vehicle.

Hey guys! With a C2 do you just need the front end aligned? Also, what is type cost for an alignment? Thanks! I have the stock supension.

First, you need to do a 4-wheel alignment. Next, it depends on the type of alignment you have done. It does not matter what suspension you have, you still have to decide what type of alignment you want since you can drastically change the camber and toe front and rea. I wanted an alignment more for DE events, ie. more camber. I had Ruf Autocenter do the the alignment for $140. The dealer is a little more expensive than this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! With a C2 do you just need the front end aligned? Also, what is type cost for an alignment? Thanks! I have the stock supension.

First, you need to do a 4-wheel alignment. Next, it depends on the type of alignment you have done. It does not matter what suspension you have, you still have to decide what type of alignment you want since you can drastically change the camber and toe front and rea. I wanted an alignment more for DE events, ie. more camber. I had Ruf Autocenter do the the alignment for $140. The dealer is a little more expensive than this.

I just called German Motors in MI (Troy) and was quoted $300 for a 4 wheel alignment. Ouch! Does anybody know of another shop in MI, I can compare prices? I just called Belle Tire and they said $70? Would anyone send it to them? They said they use Hunter equipment. Thanks!

Edited by mdillian3690