Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Entertainment for the people in the back seat

So, I'll be driving the family cross country this summer and am interested in a DVD solution. I have used my laptop in the past (15.4" TFT looks great), and was thinking about cheapo 8" models for each of the 3 munchkins, but was wondering if anyone else had any other reasonable ideas. My dealer has the headrest screens for $3k, but it's just a few long trips a year- no movies going 5 - 15 minutes away. Take the screens out of the headrests and you have $125 portable players.

Suggestions/experiences?

Thanks!

So, I'll be driving the family cross country this summer and am interested in a DVD solution. I have used my laptop in the past (15.4" TFT looks great), and was thinking about cheapo 8" models for each of the 3 munchkins, but was wondering if anyone else had any other reasonable ideas. My dealer has the headrest screens for $3k, but it's just a few long trips a year- no movies going 5 - 15 minutes away. Take the screens out of the headrests and you have $125 portable players.

Suggestions/experiences?

Thanks!

i recommend going with the laptop and a currency converter. the size is no caparison to those little things. what would you rather watch?

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 10" monitor/DVD that I rigged to hang between the 2 front headrests. Seems to work very well, but not as good as a factory unit. The problem with all the setups I've seen for the Cayenne is the placement of the disc player - none of them are convenient, so I'll stick with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions/experiences?

Thanks!

I bought an Audiovox portable unit from Costco. It has two slip on headrest covers with monitors in the covers. It also has a screen cover that is closed with a zipper to hide the screen when not in use. However, it does not have wireless headphones. The headphones plug into a jack on each screen. The screens plug into the DVD player, and the DVD player receives power thru a cigarette lighter adapter. It works well. The DVD player also has input jacks, so you can plug in a PlayStation2, Xbox, or Gamecube into it, but you'll need a power inverter and another cigarette lighter jack.

I have a 10 year old son who enjoys playing video games and a 21 month old daughter that watches her Sesame Street videos. I only install this system on long (5+ hour) roadtrips.

You can do search under Froogle to find this system online.

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestions/experiences?

Thanks!

The 3 for 3 would seem best...that way they get to watch/play what they want individually. I just got one youngster and I too thought that 1-the factory headrest units were bulbus, 2-agreed about $125 would be the value if taken out, and 3- I have had several folks tell me the fate of these units being yanked out by car burglars...

SO, given the above and that fact that kids will be kids and LCD screens may fail the liquid test, I opted for a Polaroid Simplicity DVD player w/wireless headset...not a bad little machine considering it was only $120 and matches the black/aluminium interior perfectly. Mounted it to the middle armrest with a velcro strap and now we can just pop it out and take it with us rahter than someone doing that for us. (NO not visually the best fit and finish with the velcro...but the whole package looks like it goes with the SUV)

Baby is happy for now...

• 1 month later...

Be gentle with me guys... it's my first post here. :D

Just realised my dream with my first Porky... 05 Cayenne S tip, I need to upgrade a few things & high on the list is some entertainment for the little people in the back. Has anyone had any experience with these.

http://www.vizualogic.com/headrest_prod/he...t_overview.html

A company in the Uk imports them but I can't find anyone who has them & they not exactly cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Mal