Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is the largest tire size I can go?

I currently have a 2003 996 with Carrera 18" wheels. I am badly in need of rear tires for my car and since my fronts still look brand new, I am going to replace just the rears for now. I have Continential Sport Contact 2's. (Which I hate) I'd like to know if I can put 295's on this car?

Thanks in advance.

Robyn

:help:

• Admin

As of TSB 4b/01 4440 Summer Tire and Wheel Summary Supplement (dated 3-5-2003)

Model Year: As of '02

Additional approved tire makes for summer tires.

Tire Sizes -- 295/30 ZR 18

Tire Make -- Michelin Pilot Sport N1

So, as long as your fronts are 8" wheels you should be okay for handling.

Loren,

Doesn't the 295/30/18 fit into the new 10" Carrera rear rim with stock suspension? I also have the Conti and what if the rear size is not available. Would you recommand a different brand for the rear? thanks.

gchu

• Admin
Loren,

Doesn't the 295/30/18 fit into the new 10" Carrera rear rim with stock suspension?  I also have the Conti and what if the rear size is not available.  Would you recommand a different brand for the rear?  thanks.

gchu

Yes, and no. On the older cars (pre MY02) it depends on the tire manufacturer. MY02 (and later) cars have a slightly different rear wheel opening and has been radiused back a bit. You can likely do this to older cars but it will require some repainting.

Robyn,

I am currently running 295's on my 18' rims (Sport Techno's) and this is the standard tyre size specified by Porsche for this rim. When the rims were purchased they came shod with Pirelli Assymetricos fitted.

Plenty of tyre clearance (car is lowered as well) etc. Note that these rims are 11" rather than 10" and have a 63mm offset.

Thanks everyone!

Costas - I had a feeling I could go 295, but not anything bigger. Conti makes a 295/30/18 it's just not N rated I believe. Still looking into it. I had funnnnnnnnnnnnnn in the rain today. PSM and I were best friends. Nothing like a nice power slide around a corner! Woohooooo. In all seriousness, I have maybe another 1000 miles left on these rears and I think I'll start to see steel belts. My camber is set pretty high on the negative side and I just went through these tires simply because of that. However, I have to say, to get 16000 miles on Conti SC2's is impressive. My last set was 12k and they were toast. I am looking forward to changing these all around. I wish Yokohama made a tire for me to put on the car in the right size. Loved those on my Boxster.

Robyn