Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

gear started to grind on my 99 boxster

i have 99 boxster, 36k miles. Been maintained well. Today when i shifted into 3rd, the gear grinded very slightly going into gear. No other gear does this and it only does it about 1 out of 3 times i shift into 3rd. The shift lever seems a little sloppy, could an adjustment have come loose or is there possibly something worse?

by the way theh shift lever always had some side-to-side play, but now it seems a bit more front to back as well

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Syncro rings could be excessively worn, this would require transmission disassembly and could be expensive. Possibly a linkage adjustment but it may affect other gears as well. I would double check all external shift linkage/cable adjustments to verify they are correct and if this doesn't help it is probably internal.

Syncro rings could be excessively worn, this would require transmission disassembly and could be expensive. Possibly a linkage adjustment but it may affect other gears as well. I would double check all external shift linkage/cable adjustments to verify they are correct and if this doesn't help it is probably internal.

thanks for the info. I'm gonna get it checked out asap. This is my first porsche, i've only had it a year and I'm just worried it may cost quite a bit. I'll find out soon enough. thanks again

hello there sorry to hear about ur problem.

I had the same problem with tiptronic transy. I end up buying a used transsy.

tell them to check for metal at the transy oil.

if they found some metal parts then ur transy is going bad and need to be replaced.

my car started grinding at 4th .and then it started to become worse and worse.

I hope ur problem is different from the one I had ,casue the transy is not cheap :(

if they found some metal parts then ur transy is going bad and need to be replaced.

I hope ur problem is different from the one I had ,casue the transy is not cheap :(

thanks for the info. Here's what Im thinkin is the problem. After i had the problem, the car sat for almost a week and i drove it today. No problem at all for hrs. Then it started again. The last time i experienced these symptoms it was my clutch going bad in a 1988 honda accord. Same thing, third went first and so on. It's as though it is good for a few hrs, then starts to heat and slip. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow. thanks for you two that replied, i appreciate it. I'll keep ya posted. if i can afford internet after the repairs lol. thanks

dave

I would have to check the oil specs on the Boxster tranny, however in my Talon, GTi and a lot of Honda's I have worked on when they grind I order GM Syncromesh Tranny fluid.

It was developed by Pensoil specifically for crappy GM trannies that always broke. They spent a lot of money developing it and it really does a huge part in curing problems with grinding gears in a tranny.

I know that sounds like snake oil, however read up and see what you think. Just google GM Syncromesh and hear what everybody else who uses it has to say. I track my talon a lot and with 425whp it's **** hard on trannys with AWD. I use the syncromesh exclusivly on my cars and it has been amazing.

Honda kids who beat up their cars and come in with grinding trannies get this from me. I tell them to drive easy for two weeks with the syncromesh to let the syncros wear evenly with no beatings and in 90% of the cases it solves the grinding for quite a period of time. Of course it will not solve the problem, but it does stop the grinding and extend the life of the tranny quite a bit.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/archive/in...p/t-188051.html

Yes thats superhonda, but thats only one result of meny from Google where guys claim it work. It was my saviour in my GTI and Talon for sure. My Porsche will get it shortly.

Edited by 986Jim

thanks for the info. Here's what Im thinkin is the problem. After i had the problem, the car sat for almost a week and i drove it today. No problem at all for hrs. Then it started again. The last time i experienced these symptoms it was my clutch going bad in a 1988 honda accord. Same thing, third went first and so on. It's as though it is good for a few hrs, then starts to heat and slip. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow. thanks for you two that replied, i appreciate it. I'll keep ya posted. if i can afford internet after the repairs lol. thanks

dave

my car did the same . it runs fine but when it get heat it up to 180 the gear start to slip. I took my car to every porsche tech and they all told me the same thing.

my transy is going bad and it need to be replaced .

what you have to do now is stop driving the car and change the transy oil .this is not going to solve the problem but it is going make the car last longer before it start slipping. the cost of the transy oil change is 230.but I think you sould start looking for a used transy.