Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How you don't want to find your water pump...

See Picture attachment. This is my water pump after removal. Not in good shape. Wondering where the bits of plastic came to rest. Car is running well so hopefully they are resting in the sump and will stay there.

Mark.

post-9849-1147311015_thumb.jpg

I flushed a few times and a couple of little bits came out but the big piece is still in there somewhere... :unsure:

Anyone know if the pumps can be traded in for refurbish (and who would do it)?

• 3 years later...

Okay Gentlemen "Trixie" is sick and needs your help! Her serpentine belt broke and the water pump impeller exploded into bits. Doctor says it'll be eight hundred bucks to get her healthy again. Thing is, finances are tight due to my unscrupulous employer so I'll be performing the surgery myself. What's the worst case prognosis on a procedure such as this? I'm concerned about the bits in her engine and how precisely to get them out. I'm a novice at best but I'm reasonably intelligent, can turn a bolt and from time to time I can even follow instructions. I did do a slew of research before I posted this but I didn't come across the impeller problem.

The belt broke, no steam, drove to a safe location, tried to start again to no avail only saw dashes on my display and would not turnover. What could it mean?

What are the pitfalls of the death of my impeller?

Worst case scenario? Def-con 5?

How do I get them out?

Should I really attempt this?

A checklist of necessary tools would be monumentally helpful.

Also a checklist of steps would be great.

Thank you in advance guys, my love affair with Trixie wouldn't be the same without you.

Shine on,

Justin

• Admin
Okay Gentlemen "Trixie" is sick and needs your help! Her serpentine belt broke and the water pump impeller exploded into bits. Doctor says it'll be eight hundred bucks to get her healthy again. Thing is, finances are tight due to my unscrupulous employer so I'll be performing the surgery myself. What's the worst case prognosis on a procedure such as this? I'm concerned about the bits in her engine and how precisely to get them out. I'm a novice at best but I'm reasonably intelligent, can turn a bolt and from time to time I can even follow instructions. I did do a slew of research before I posted this but I didn't come across the impeller problem.

The belt broke, no steam, drove to a safe location, tried to start again to no avail only saw dashes on my display and would not turnover. What could it mean?

What are the pitfalls of the death of my impeller?

Worst case scenario? Def-con 5?

How do I get them out?

Should I really attempt this?

A checklist of necessary tools would be monumentally helpful.

Also a checklist of steps would be great.

Thank you in advance guys, my love affair with Trixie wouldn't be the same without you.

Shine on,

Justin

The belt should be straight forward replacement - but before you install it check all the pulleys for wear or wobble. Replace any that are questionable. A broken pulley when the engine is running can do a lot of damage.

Usually a coolant system reverse flush should remove the broken impeller bits. Most collect the pieces so they have an idea whether all or most all the pieces are there. Most commercial shops would do the same.

I flushed a few times and a couple of little bits came out but the big piece is still in there somewhere... :unsure:

Anyone know if the pumps can be traded in for refurbish (and who would do it)?

Napa carries remanufactured pumps for about $150, but mine only lasted six months (~ 7k miles) before the bearings were shot, and it was leaking again. Since it was under warranty I put another Napa one on this weekend, and I've got my fingers crossed that the bad one was just a fluke. However, I would advise spending the money for a new one from Porsche.