Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Paint Spill

I've just had my front bumper re-painted (98 Boxster Silver) and it looks like some paint got sprayed on the 2 plastic grills inset in the bumper.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a safe way to remove the paint without destroying the plastic?

Many thanks,

akpud

Edited by akpud

I've just had my front bumper re-painted (98 Boxster Silver) and it looks like some paint got sprayed on the 2 plastic grills inset in the bumper.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a safe way to remove the paint without destroying the plastic?

Many thanks,

akpud

It looks like overspray. Thanks for the advise.

akpud

if it's just overspray try the clay bar. If it's heavier than that ask your painter. Possibly wet sand with 1500 grit or repaint with a matt black.

Unfortunately neither the clay bar nor the sandpaper had any effect. Can you tell me specifically what kind of matt black paint to use on the plastic part.

Thanks again.

akpud

Edited by akpud

The overspray must be more than a few tiny drops <_< . I would try sanding with a coarse paper an then use a finer one followed by polishing paste so I would not need to paint the grills.

If you paid full price for the paint job, take it back ...it is bad quality work -they should fix it. :cursing:

Good luck

The overspray must be more than a few tiny drops <_< . I would try sanding with a coarse paper an then use a finer one followed by polishing paste so I would not need to paint the grills.

If you paid full price for the paint job, take it back ...it is bad quality work -they should fix it. :cursing:

Good luck

Thanks Rolando - yes it is more than a few drops - it actually looks more like a milky film that covers a significant portion of the horizontal part of the fins. The reason that I'm trying to repair it myself is that I'm getting kinda tired of having to continually go back and have things re-done.....................

Anyway, just in case I do decied to DIY - does anyone know exactly what paint to use? :help:

Thanks,

akpud

cleaning the old ones will be a huge pain. they fade to grey over time anyway. i'd just buy new grills and install them. i first tried painting mine after they faded. the paint chipped badly over just a few weeks. go for new ones.

Edited by insite

cleaning the old ones will be a huge pain. they fade to grey over time anyway. i'd just buy new grills and install them. i first tried painting mine after they faded. the paint chipped badly over just a few weeks. go for new ones.

Thanks - that's probably a good plan! :lightbulb:

akpud

I would sand it off (coase) and put mesh grill guards to protect the radiators. New grills would require you to remove the entire bumper (they are placed from the inside).

-If you still want to paint the grills, you may try Krylon "Fusion" (no prep, superbond for plastic). http://www.dickblick.com/zz014/11/

Rolando

Go to an automotive paint store. There, you can buy paint formulated for plastic trim. You'll want to clean the parts w/ a prepsolvent (removes grease and silicon), scuff them w/ a scotchbrite pad or equivalent, clean them again, and apply the paint. In a pinch, use a laquer paint - but beware, laquer dries very hard so it will be brittle and chip over time. However, if your body shop caused it, I'd require them to fix it....inexcusable workmanship.... :soapbox:

Acetone works great to remove paint. If you wipe quickly without using too much product on a rag it will not damage the plastic. It will melt the plastic if left on there or large amounts of it are put on but if your wiping quickly and wipe with a dry cloth afterwards it will be fine and take the paint off with no problems.

You can buy it at any Auto parts store (Pep boys kinda thing) in a small can. It's the god send of removing anything like that... paint, glue, tar etc etc..