Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Location of 'vacuum' tank for PSE install

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of installing my PSE. The wiring is almost done but the location of the vacuum tank in the engine bay still puzzles me. ( Finally ended up using the OEM-part instead of Gemballa). The TSB makes it look like the mounting point is next to the battery terminal but there's nothing like a bolt there. Anybody who could provide me with a close-up photo of the tank installed on the holder?

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

Thorsten,

Yea, it's tricky. This link has a good photo:

http://www.belladessa.com/auctions/exhaust/exhaust.htm

The TSB makes it look like the tank is just to the right of the positive battery connection. It's actually several inches towards the front of the car.

You're looking for a short bolt that's holding down a hose holder. It'll be under several other hoses that will block your view. If you look at the right side of the engine where the picture shows, move those hoses to your right and you should see the bolt to take out.

Thanks!

-Charles

Thanks Charles, that's exactly what I was looking for. Shame on me: I already bookmarked this page preparing for the install but didn't realize that this photo was on there. Well, I'm not at home right now but I should be able to locate the mounting point with the help of the picture.

Thorsten

First of all I have to say that I finally found the time to install the cans today. Again I wasted several hours because all the bolts were so rusted that I had to use the angle grinder to get the clamps off.

Made the neighbor's son shine up the tips while I was at it :D

Fortunately I had expected that and had new clamps at hand.

I still got to do the vacuum connections but was already rewarded when I fired up the engine. Wow what a blast- the sound is much better than I expected :clapping:

On the vacuum tank holder: I guess I just realized why I couldn't make out the location. I was looking for a higher point to attach the angled holder to. Since I don't have the bolt and spacer sleeve I didn't know what it looked like. Is it correct that the spacer sleeve is like a small metal pipe where the bolt is slipped in and that the angled hold is held between this pipe and the bolt-head? If so, I finally get the picture...

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

On the vacuum tank holder: I guess I just realized why I couldn't make out the location. I was looking for a higher point to attach the angled holder to. Since I don't have the bolt and spacer sleeve I didn't know what it looked like. Is it correct that the spacer sleeve is like a small metal pipe where the bolt is slipped in and that the angled hold is held between this pipe and the bolt-head? If so, I finally get the picture...

Thorsten,

That is exactly how it works. It results in the angle bracket sitting about 2 inches higher than the hole into which the bolt is inserted. I believe that is why so many have a hard time finding the mounting location .... that and the fact that the photo in the TSB makes it appear that the bolt is inserted in an area much closer to the rear bumper than it actually is.

I've finished the install and everything seems to work fine. The final work in the engine bay including the electrical connection took me only a little more than one hour. I used a regular M6x80 bolt and used a tool that I grabbed at the craftsmen supply as a spacer. Just had to cut off a few centimeters. Don't know the english word for it bit it had openings for 6/7mm hexagon bolt heads on both ends. (See Photo). The dealer was able to find the part no. for the vacuum relay holder ( 996 110 510 52 ) so I used that instead of messing around with another DIY-solution.

On the photo you will also see were I tapped the vacuum from. I just spliced in a Y-connector down ther below the tank.

Well the sound is awesome - I just have to get it through TÜV now...

Thanks to all of you helping me out with advice and support. :clapping:

post-3714-1149171433_thumb.jpg