Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Weird electrical gremlins in 2006 997S?

I have a one month-old 997S, and today, for the very first time, I experienced some strange issues with the electrical/electronic system. I was hoping someone might have some insights on these issues that I've experienced.

First, as I got into the car to drive home from work this evening, the OBC was telling me that there were PSM and PASM failures. I turned off the car and restarted it, thinking it was just a brain glitch in the computer. When I restarted the car, the same two failure messages appeared. I started my trip home and, sure enough, the two failure messages were gone (and not stored on the OBC in any way).

The drive home was normal. Upon pulling into my garage, I encountered my second issue: I turned off the car but could not remove the key (it wouldn't go into the first position). Not only that, but the whole car went completely dark: no interior lights, no ability to operate the electric windows, no PCM screen, no ability to centrally unlock or lock the doors, no ability to open either hood or trunk, no ability to start the car. After about half an hour of just sitting there trying to fiddle with things (and looking through the manual), I decided to try to use my second key to remotely lock/unlock the car. Nothing happened. Eventually, I closed both doors, and that somehow woke the car up. Strange.

I then took the car on a drive. Again, the PASM and PSM failure lights turned on, and then turned off after twenty seconds. I put the Sport Chrono in "sport" mode (which also activates PASM in sport mode), and it seemed to work fine. But pushing on the "sport" button didn't automatically simultaneously turn PASM into "normal" mode like it should.

Anyway, after driving a little more, I arrived at home again. But the key wouldn't come out and the car went dark again. After twenty seconds of fiddling, the car woke up . . . again. Now, the car seems normal.

But have you ever heard of anything like this? Bizarre.

• Admin

I asked Peter Smith about this a couple of months ago after a couple of our members reported similar problems. He said that they have seen weird electrical problems caused by a bad front end control module. Your dealership service department should be aware of this - and able to fix it.

I asked Peter Smith about this a couple of months ago after a couple of our members reported similar problems. He said that they have seen weird electrical problems caused by a bad front end control module. Your dealership service department should be aware of this - and able to fix it.

Thanks so much for the insight, Loren. I would have thought that this kind of issue would be resolved by the second year of a particular model generation, but it seems not. I hope the fix is easy and, more importantly, effective.

I have a late 2005 C2S currently dissasembled at the local dealer who seems to be stymied as to the cause of multiple control module failures. I thought it was the dreaded front control unit as it flashed lights, etc. and completely discharged the battery. The gateway was apparently faulty and at least four other control units have been replaced without any explaination as to why or how it happened.

The dealer claims not to have seen any electrical problems with 997s, though a little reading here and elsewhere would suggest that there are/have been systematic problems with the various networks. I'm now extremely anxious about the future of the car, to say the least.

Edited by 58spdstr

• 3 weeks later...
I have a late 2005 C2S currently dissasembled at the local dealer who seems to be stymied as to the cause of multiple control module failures. I thought it was the dreaded front control unit as it flashed lights, etc. and completely discharged the battery. The gateway was apparently faulty and at least four other control units have been replaced without any explaination as to why or how it happened.

I think it's time to call PCNA and request oversight from their technical staff. It sounds like the dealer is just fidgeting at this point...

MHO,

-d

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's time to call PCNA and request oversight from their technical staff. It sounds like the dealer is just fidgeting at this point...

MHO,

-d

I agree get PCNA to resolve the problems.

Deanski