Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgrading the sound system - overhauling the speakers

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JFP in PA said:

What are you trying to download?

Hi,

For arguments sake,  if I go to the first post in this thread & follow the link to the tutorial,  the op has said,  "wow,  2600 dwnloads"  my problem is I can't see the bloomin link lol 

Cheers mister 

• Admin
21 minutes ago, motosparkz said:

Hi,

For arguments sake,  if I go to the first post in this thread & follow the link to the tutorial,  the op has said,  "wow,  2600 dwnloads"  my problem is I can't see the bloomin link lol 

Cheers mister 

I have restored the missing PDF file.

You can download it now.

• Moderators

OK, go to the first post, and click on that link (in blue), that will take you to another page, scroll down near the bottom and you should see another link to a PDF file (again in blue).  Click on that and you should see/download what you want.  :beer:

34 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

What are you trying to download?

Fantastic,  thank you.  At least it wasn't me being a bit doolally

Hi,

Cheers mister 

6 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

OK, go to the first post, and click on that link (in blue), that will take you to another page, scroll down near the bottom and you should see another link to a PDF file (again in blue).  Click on that and you should see/download what you want.  :beer:

Hi again, 

Looks like the link was missing,  Loren fettled it,  I don't feel so dumb now ,  thanks again 

18 hours ago, Loren said:

I have restored the missing PDF file.

You can download it now.

Hi Loren,

So, quick question. I have seen a few tutorials with missing files that I was interested in. (giddy new Boxster owner lol) Can I use the "report this tutorial" or is that aimed at a different thing.

Cheers, Shane

• 5 months later...

That is a nice write-up! 

I am buckling up a major Winter project on my 2000 986 (2Din head unit,996 cluster,OBD, piggyback Alarm system).

Audio

I attached some pics of the speaker direction I went in as choosing speakers was my top priority.  My decision process was to :

1) Determine what speakers sounded best , and would fit

a. Prepare the car for the auditions (remove head unit, install rear speakers / wires etc)

b. Wire a home theater receiver to the speakers for the testing

c. Install speakers and listen

2) Now that I decided on speakers, choose amp

a. Determine if factory amp (actually now 6x40, same specs) could work with mods

b. Test with HT receiver "line out"  for proper levels

I tested about five different car speakers. None did it for me, I really liked the Dayton RS100-4 but they were too tall,too heavy. I wound up fabricating a substantial mounting mod to make them work. These are the testing prototype pics attached.  I used 1/16" plywood  for the adapter ring and the housing from the original speaker. The problem with using a speaker like this is that they are much heavier than an auto speaker. So, I basically potted the entire assembly in epoxy for strength, drilled the 6 mounting holes needed for the Dayton, and put it in for final measurements. I have a full 1/4" clearance everywhere and they sound great! 

More as I have time to write. Next, I will post my mods of the factory amp(s).

Jerry Prado

DSC_5936.JPG

DSC_5937.JPG

DSC_5938.JPG

DSC_5939.JPG

Edited by Jerry Prado
Fixed

• 4 months later...

Everyone.  I apologize to everyone who posted questions that I did not answer. I posted this guide to help out others, but don't really monitor it that often.  But to answer some of the questions in a general kind of way for future posters I can offer these comments:

What speakers you use has less to do with the car and more to do with your tastes. As long as you use decent quality stuff, properly matched to your amp(s), and of the correct size the end result should be as desired. 

I did this mod as stage 1 of a 2 stage project. I did initially just replace the speakers,with 4 ohm Polk Audio units. I had retained the Becker CDR23 and the stock M490 Harman amp. But the stock amp is terribly under powered, and the CDR23 didn't support an ipod or USB drive so I had always  planned to replace them both from the get-go.  Amp wise, IMHO, you need 75W RMS per channel, or better, in this car to have sufficient headroom (acoustical) when the top is down. 

As far as the door template, Cassiebox beat me to posting a template, although I did explain, in detail, in the tutorial the steps I went through to make mine. Still, Cassiebox's  template is pretty much the exact same thing that I did so that template is all that is needed.   :thumbup: 

You can get it here: https://www.renntech.org/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=7789

I never posted a "replacing the amp" guide because, as I found out,  it is really a fairly complicated, and highly personal, project. Possible mounting locations are found inside the front boot, in the back boot, behind or under the pass seat, or even under the pass side dash. It all depends on what you can manage to do yourself, or pay to have done, and where YOU want things and don't want things.  Initially I located mine in the front boot in one location, then found a few years later, after that amp had failed,  that I had to mount it's replacement in a completely different way (that was a lot more involved.)  Just be careful about drilling the surface behind the spare tire as the gas tank is located immediately behind it.  :excl: I chose to eliminate that surface as a possible amp mounting location for that reason, but I have seen others use it. 

It makes this effort very worthwhile to see how much the article has been used by others, and the comments made showing appreciation for the time invested. I hope it continues to be of use to Boxster owners for years to come.  

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a 3 way component system ( J L Audio C-5)  Ive read several posts about using stock speaker boxes with some mod's, and the sound or output was poor?.  I like the idea about the mounting plate and or baffle you posted.  Two questions if you dont mind.  Do you need to wrap sound deadening around the entire baffle and is it needed behind up against the actual door.

Next, how is the actual sound that is produced?

Thank you in advance.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

If you are referring to the Boxster door template mentioned above in post by atmorris, it is a PDF file, I just downloaded and opened it without any issues; the original guide from the first posting has been removed by the OP and is no longer available.