Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dents on trunk lid - anyone have these?

I have a 2000 2.7L Boxster. I noticed last night that it looks like I have 4 small dents in the flat area of the back trunk lid (where the 3rd brake light is). They're right on the horizontal crease and they are indentations as if something pushed them in from above. They aren't from anything inside the trunk pushing up from what I can see (and I rarely have much in there, anyway). The odd thing is that they're shallow, there aren't any marks on the surface and they actually look pretty evenly spaced. Either there's something going on with airflow stressing the trunk lid or something else happened to it without my knowledge. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I did have my GAHH top replaced recently by the same shop that initially put it on, so it's possible this happened at the shop, but they do all the top work for the local Porsche dealer and I can't believe they'd do something like this to the car. This is also the 2nd ime they've replaced the top for me and nothing happened the 1st time.

Any ideas will be appreciated. If anyone knows about replacing tops, can you tell me if any kind of tools are used that they might have put on the trunk an used as levers to stretch the fabric or something?

Thanks.

I recently had some dents taken out of my trunk. I figured I'd put them in there from changing my oil filler tube (which is a PITA), driving too fast with too much junk in the trunk, or something. But, there were no scratches, etc., either, and they weren't outies. The way the dent-fix-it guy explained was that the bracing on the bottom side of the trunk is glued to the sheet metal. If the hood is stressed, then the glued pieces cause the sheet metal to have weird dents/buckles because the 2 pieces cannot move independently. He wound up cutting the adhesive out between the 2 pieces (carefully), and then doing the regular dent repair. I can't tell now, but it cost a couple hundred $. Are the dents right by the cross-bracing?

I recently had some dents taken out of my trunk. I figured I'd put them in there from changing my oil filler tube (which is a PITA), driving too fast with too much junk in the trunk, or something. But, there were no scratches, etc., either, and they weren't outies. The way the dent-fix-it guy explained was that the bracing on the bottom side of the trunk is glued to the sheet metal. If the hood is stressed, then the glued pieces cause the sheet metal to have weird dents/buckles because the 2 pieces cannot move independently. He wound up cutting the adhesive out between the 2 pieces (carefully), and then doing the regular dent repair. I can't tell now, but it cost a couple hundred $. Are the dents right by the cross-bracing?

Interesting theory. I actually have more of them than I thought. The original ones are not on the cross-bracing, but are right on the back-most edge of that flat section on the rear trunk lid (where it curves back into the rest of the lid). I've noticed some more dimpled spots all over the flat section, too. I was wondering if air is dlowing over the top differently after this most recent install and that was flexing the trunk lid. This cross-bracing suggestion could be part of that scenario.