Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need a rebuilt transmission

first gear in my 97 boxster is loud and making a racket on the housing. Something's loose and my dealership mechanic said I should just find a rebuilt or used transmission and have it shipped to the dealership and he'll install it.

Anyone know of a reputable place to buy a rebuilt or used transmission with low miles on it?

It seems like a waste to assume it's bad without ever getting inside to make sure. You have to take it out, how long would it take to look inside too what wrong, 30 minutes after its out...

Food for thought.

Somebody on the Boxster racers board had one a while back $1250.00 I think ...

• Moderators

Here is a transmission shop in Texas and they have a listing for a 1997 Boxster. http://www.jie.com/trans/porstrans.htm

Porsche also sells rebuilt transmissions and they show up on ebay. Scott is correct, there is a 5 speed for sale on the racing board

I would see if it would cost less to rebuild yours. Porsche sells parts for the 5 speed and it is really just a modified Audi/VW transmission. I have not see my dealer rebuild one for a Boxster, but I have seen them do it for Audi.

Ignore the link. It looks like a rebuild kit for a triptronic transmission.

Edited by Tool Pants

My dealer said they would not rebuild my transmission, only replace it with a Porsche rebuilt one. Grrr.

The mechanic pulled me over to the side afterward and told me that if I could find a used one or a rebuilt one, I could have it shipped directy to the dealership and they'd put it in for me, but it would not be warranted unless I bought one from them at $3k + 850 to install it.