Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to tell if engine has been replaced

Dear Forum, I bought a 99 Boxster w/ Triptronic. It has over 117,000 miles on it and it runs and drives like a new car. No oil leaks or any engine problems whatsoever. I have heard that early model Boxsters had engine problems and some engines were replaced under warranty. My question is - is there a way to tell if the engine has been replaced? Like maybe by finding the engine numbers or something. I got the original owners manual and service book. It appears that it was regularly serviced by Porsche but no mention of an engine replacement. If you can tell by the engine number - can anyone advise were to find it on the engine.? Thank you very much, Jerry Peterson

This applies to ALL replacement engines.. it is VERY simple to determine if you have a replacement engine or not in your car :)

The replacement engines have NO (I repeat) NO cosmoline on them :) The cars (all Porsches) get sprayed with the cosomline as they go onto the boat for transport to keep corrosion to a minimum during the salty sea voyage :) Replacement engines from Porsche are shipped in a crate and never get sprayed :)

Want to know wha you have? LOOK underneath the car. Look for the cosmoline on the transmission.. lower suspension plate.. suspension pieces.. you name it.. if the engine has NONE on the oil pan or the sides of the block.. or on the bottom of the heads near the exhaust ports (it is sprayed straight up towards the bottom of the cars) then you have a replacement engine!!

Simple :)

b

Congrats on your purchase!!!

The cosmoline point is a good one, however if you have a replacement engine out of a wrecked Boxster it would still have the cosmoline...

I know several people that have or had higher mileage 986 and 996's, all on their original engines. It sounds to me like you have the original engine - I would think an engine replacement would be reflected in the service records you got.

I think the engine issues on early 986 and 996's were blown out of proportion and are not nearly as bad as the postings on internet may lead you to believe...

I think the engine issues on early 986 and 996's were blown out of proportion and are not nearly as bad as the postings on internet may lead you to believe...

I agree 100%. The first 911 engines had a TON of problems/recalls, but they did not have the internet to spread the actual issues and blow it up.

B