Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

B&M rear shifter

B_M.pdfGuys I won this B&M shifter on ebay and am getting ready to install it. Have any of you performed this mod and if so any words of advice? Do you prefer it over the inside shifter mod? This is adjustable for 10%, 20% and 30% depending on your setting of preference.

BMrear.jpg

BTW, attached are the directions from B&M.

Thanks,

Edited by gcp

I can't believe no one has done this before, Lauren any inputs? Looks pretty straight forward from the write-up I just wanted to know how effectively it compares with the inside shifter.

Thanks,

Edited by gcp

• Moderators

Always wanted to put one in at our work on cars day. When this unit first came out a local 996 guy bought it and we were going to put it in but then he traded his car. I would have bought it from him but the Boxster unit is different.

Another local guy named Poursha/Russ has it. Make sure you have the correct unit beause he is not the only one that was sold the wrong unit.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...&hl=B&M

Always wanted to put one in at our work on cars day. When this unit first came out a local 996 guy bought it and we were going to put it in but then he traded his car. I would have bought it from him but the Boxster unit is different.

Another local guy named Poursha/Russ has it. Make sure you have the correct unit beause he is not the only one that was sold the wrong unit.

Thank you for the information and the link toolpants. I'll give it a go some time soon and report back, if I can ever stay home long enough :(

Toolpants, I plan to install the B&M shifter Friday night so I will pass on my experiences.

I will also be in Sunnyvale the following weekend, are you California guys getting together for any Porsche installs? If so please let me know when/where so I can attend.

Thanks,

That would be a long drive from Alabama. Seems the locals have been too busy for a work on cars day.

Make sure you have the right shift. Looks like you have 45182.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...23&page=1&pp=15

Toolpants, I am not driving from Alabama I am flying :D

I'll check the part when I get back home but I think it's the right one for the year. Thanks for the link.

Well guys, it took me maybe an hour to install the under the car B&M short shifter, and I am pleased to report that it worked out like a charm :clapping: I LOVE the 30% reduction setting, it was very much worth the purchase price and the install effort!!

BTW, it took me more time to figure out how to jack-up and secure the car than it did to perform the actual task. I'll post pics in the am.

Guys, after scratching the slow part of me, and using a few choice words in 4 languages (darn German engineers try to force you into having to use their dealer's lift for under the car work) I decided to jack-up the rear of the driver's side until I could slide a ramp under the wheel and then released the jack. I did the same on the passenger’s side and then used jack stands for a bit of extra safety (activate the emergency brake to make sure car does not roll frontward or backward).

PICT3855.jpg

PICT3854.jpg

I then got my tools and parts ready, I’m the orderly type.

PICT3856.jpg

I crawled under the car, removed the cross bracket and set it aside. I then un-snapped with a straight screw drive the ball joint connectors of both shifter cables, un-mounted the cables from the OEM bracket and removed/replaced it with the B&M bracket, making sure I used the spacer provided for the lower hole (once you compare the shape of the two brackets you will understand why).

PICT3857.jpg

Then I installed the ball joint onto the blue flat wedge plate (I used the hole closest to the center of the assembly since this hole provides for 30% reduction but there are two other hole you could also use for more shifter throw....but in my mind at least this defeats the purpose of the install).

PICT3859.jpg

I secured the wedge plate to the lower ball-joint arm and re-attached the cables onto the 2 ball joints (one new one old).

PICT3860.jpg

PICT3863.jpg

Installed the protective bracket and tested the shifting to make sure all is well, before I started the car.

PICT3866.jpg

Lowered the car, (didn't test drive it yet since it was raining last night), patted myself on the back for a job well done and then went in to enjoy the beer & grilled wild pork my wife prepared for me while I was playing mechanic. I’d like to add that the shifting difference is next to amazing, crisp, short and precise!

Hope this helps someone...and BTW the directions I attached to my first post above (PDF file ) do work.

I'd called also with the same information given on the #45180 for my GT3. The gentleman I spoke with said that they didn't sell well enough and were discontinued for this reason. He did mention that if there were enough calls of interest that it was possible that B&M may put them back into production. He was curious as to why there was a sudden interest in them so I mentioned this site to him so maybe they will check it out and realize the error of their ways. ;) If anyone knows of someone that still has a #45180, I'd appreciate letting me know.

Joseph

Hi GCP:

Thanks and congratulations for an excellent job documenting the task. I have a short shifter on my short list of mods for this upcoming season. (For you southern boys, and girls, we have a driving season up here in the north for our "good" cars!) Any comments at all regarding the performance/feel of the rear shifter as opposed to the inside shifter. Specualtions welcome. The only one I've driven was an inside shifter, official factory Porsche mod, and the shaft is shorter. I'm having a hard time imagining how the shifter might feel having the standard length but a shorter throw. Of course, this might all be moot if you can't get one.

ix ix vi

ix ix vi, thank you for your kind words.

I've not driven a Porsche with the inside short shifter but all I can say is I love my new install! The throw is considerably shorter and the gears seem to be more definite...albeit it requires more effort to shift (but not a real problem for most of us I'd suspect).

I was told that the under the car shifter mod is preferable because it's easier to install and if you don't like the 30% reduction you can relatively easily drop it to 20% or even 10% reduction.

Truth be told I lucked into mine in that I won it on ebay thinking I was getting an inside job and got this instead. Plus what I won was a B&M for a GT3 (which I was told was the same but it is not). After talking to them they were able to find the correct part for my 996 and shipped it to me ASAP....the Gods were watching out for me on this particular transaction :clapping:

Hope this helps,

Edited by gcp

I got the same kit last year and had the "compensating weight" hitting the bracket when in gear. I had to grind off some material from the new bracket to make sure it doesn't happen. Make sure you test yours for this. Your bracket would also need to be painted if you decides to grind it down some so it won't rust.

After the install, I kept feeling that the shifting became too notchy. I was recommending to everyone against upgrading to a SSK in the 996.

After a lot of thoughts and looking at the concept from my M5's SSK with really heavy oversized SS rod made me realize that the notchy shifting is caused by that the overall weight of the shifter is not heavy enough to match the more effort required. When the shifter is shortened, the compensating weight that Porsche built in is now not enough. I decided to find a heavy item to add to it. The screwed in thin sheet metal guard that came with B&M kit gives me the perfect place to add weight. I found a cast iron tow hook that I took off a Sequia with similar size but weighs a ton. I drill the proper holes, find the longer screws and bolt it on. Went out for a test drive. Whoa, the factory shift feel is back. It's not that pretty but gets the job done. I'm now considering adding even more weight.

Needless to say, I'm happy again. I am all for SSK in a 996 again.

Maybe I should tell B&M to make the kit in Stainless Steel. It would automatically compentate for the weight. But it would also cost twice as much.

post-1349-1139733795_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1139733962_thumb.jpg

Edited by alexcwt

Still no one who has driven both the rear SSK and the inside SSK?!?!?! Someone at B&M must have. Does the inside kit also feel unbalanced? Searching for the elusive driver who can set this record straight...

Edited by ix ix vi

I've recently fitted the inside SSK. It was worth it for the removal of all the free play from the plastic bushes. The shorter shift is a bonus. I know if I'd just fitted the rear SSK the front end slack would be a real pain.

Still no one who has driven both the rear SSK and the inside SSK?!?!?! Someone at B&M must have. Does the inside kit also feel unbalanced? Searching for the elusive driver who can set this record straight...

Saturday I drove an MY 2K with the inside EVO SSK and IMHO I like my rear/under B&M much better!

Edited by gcp

With the help of GCP (thanks again), I was able to find the B&M SSK for my '04 GT3 at Redline Motorgroup. I placed my order today and spoke with Estin. Their site appears to be a work in progress but here's a link to their contact page...

http://www.redlinemotorgroup.com/contact.html

Hopefully, this helps others looking for this discontinued SSK.

Joseph

Edit: Looks like their site is down. The phone # is 310-289-8830.

Edited by weatherson