Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spoiler Removal

Hello, I am new to this site and have really enjoyed all of the great info about porsche here. I posted a question a few weeks back in the DIY section with no responses. I'm hoping somebody can help.

I have a US 2002 Boxster with the 2.7 tiptronic. The spoiler light comes on, but my spoiler is actually up, it works with the manual switch in the footwell and when on the road I imagine there is a limit switch that needs to be cleaned or replaced. Does anybody have any directions as to how I can remove the spoiler to check the limit switch? OR, is there a connection I could verify first that has maybe become disconnected? I really appreciate any help. Thanks :rolleyes:

ABE

OK, so I got impatient and decided to tackle this on my own. Here's what I found:

I raised the spoiler with the switch and then removed the spoiler "cap" by removing 3 rivet type fasteners. This was covered in a recent post on the 987 forum

Then I removed the 2 allen held screws holding the spoiler to the lifting cyclinders.

I then lowered the lift cylinders with the switch

Then I removed 4 allen head screws, 2 on each side of the lifting cylinders that hold the cylinders to the back end

Next I removed the trunk carpet, styrofoam under carpet support

I removed 3 10mm nuts and 1 10mm bolt that mount the spoiler motor frame to the back of the car

Unplug the drain tubes from the bottom of the lift cylinders

The motorized mechanism can now be pulled out and worked on easier.

So now I could access the electrical contacts on the micro switches that are mounted in the plastic of the spoiler frame

First, i used a meter to determine if the contacts of the switch were opened or closed.

I then raised the spoiler and re-checked the switches. They each were in opposite states, the one that was making continuity was now open, and the one that was open is now continuous.

I'll try to get some pictures posted.

That's where I am stuck. Can anybody tell me if that is the proper way the switches should function? If so, what is the next step for me to take? Is there a schematic out there? Thanks

ABE

Thanks, it looks like that guy had the same problem as I do. I didn't see a solution listed for him either. I was able to get a copy of the repair manual schematics from www.cannell.co.uk they actually had a lot of porsche service manuals there for a free download.

Meanwhile, I'll keep working on a fix.

OK, so I somehow fixed the problem today. Since I'm new to this car I was reading up about changing out the cluster lights. I happened to notice that my washer fluid light was not working. I decided to peek in there and pull off the instrument cluster.

Thanks to the postings here it was very easy. What I discovered is that in my MY02, I have soldered in LED lights, no bulbs. I had to split the cluster apart to get them. Guess what was there? Some black electrical tape. Must be a previous "fix" to the low washer fluid sensor. Anyway, I removed the tape and re-installed the cluster. At engine startup all lights are now on for the lamp check.

Went for a ride this afternoon and after passing a car on the interstate noticed the spoiler light did not come on. I looked back (un-safe move) and could see the spoiler was up. So after a few cycles of slowing down, checking spoiler, speeding up, checking, the spoiler light does not come on. It's function properly. I'm clueless as to why, but hey it works.

As a side note, no problems with the washer fluid indicator yet either.

ABE