Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello,

I just bought a 04 Cayenne Turbo. It just started creating a thud sound and feel when stopping below 5-8 mph. The transmission shifts flawlessly up and down through the gears. This only occurs when it's in automatic mode after it shifts to 2nd at about 5 miles per hour or below. It's not happening during the shift to second gear too. Only after it's in second then as you gradually role to a stop it makes the thud. The thud sound and feel doesn't get recreated when accelerating too. When I'm in triptronic mode the sound and feeling is almost gone and sometime doesn't exist. It feels like the sound is coming from under my seat area but hard to tell. Any incite would be great!!!!!

Thanks....

Bill

I had the exact same thing on mine (2004). It was the transfer case motor used to engage/disengage the center differential. The cardan would manifest itself mainly upon acceleration as a more rapid thumping.

Part number was 955-624-601-01 "Elec Motor.transfer". The invoice states "Replaced transfer case motor because was not engaging".

I am having the same issue but it seems like it doesn't happen often in the Cayenne. It is more frequent in the 04 Touareg. I have the same exact issue, shuddering at very low speeds while turning, a thud or clunk on and off the gas at low speeds in low gear but never at higher speeds. I beleive it is the "stepper motor" on the transaxel. The part number is correct 955 624 60101. It runs about $300.00. Has anyone ever installed one of these? RFM, MUDMAN, VICARY???

• Moderators

There was a transmission electric motor action for the earlier types, due recurrent fault codes on the dash, not for all kinds of noise, as far as i remember.

Hello,

I just bought a 04 Cayenne Turbo. It just started creating a thud sound and feel when stopping below 5-8 mph. The transmission shifts flawlessly up and down through the gears. This only occurs when it's in automatic mode after it shifts to 2nd at about 5 miles per hour or below. It's not happening during the shift to second gear too. Only after it's in second then as you gradually role to a stop it makes the thud. The thud sound and feel doesn't get recreated when accelerating too. When I'm in triptronic mode the sound and feeling is almost gone and sometime doesn't exist. It feels like the sound is coming from under my seat area but hard to tell. Any incite would be great!!!!!

Thanks....

Bill

If it's minor I wouldn't waste any more time on it. Unfortunately, you've described one of the many Cayenne quirks. I've had two, and 04 and now an 06, and they both do it. I even had the driveshaft in the 04 replaced bc the bearing was shot and it still did it afterwords.

If it becomes more serious, then you might want to take it in or look into any potential problems.