Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cv joint clean and repack

2000 boxster 2.7L tiptronic

the rear axles are removed and i am preparing to replace the cv boots and repack the cv joints with grease. question: how much disassembly is possible on the inner cv joint. is this all a single part that requires no further breakdown once removed from the axle? or is it possible/necessary to further disassemble the parts to adequately clean and then repack with grease? fyi: this procedure is being done as routine maintenance since the trans is now removed from car. not due to any problem with these parts.

Edited by raleigh5

I don't think there is any further diassembly possible. Generally diassembling this sort of bearing is recomended or advisable. Generally.

PK

ok, thank you. now, i do not know whether there is a problem with one of the joints then. it tapped off the axle with no problem. but as i has 'digging' out the grease, the inner 'claw' piece was able to turn to the point that i could easily have removed the large ball bearings. i can try and get a picture of this later today. so, now i am wondering if this indicates a problem and calls for replacement?

I don't think there is any further diassembly possible. Generally diassembling this sort of bearing is recomended or advisable. Generally.

PK

ok, thank you. now, i do not know whether there is a problem with one of the joints then. it tapped off the axle with no problem. but as i has 'digging' out the grease, the inner 'claw' piece was able to turn to the point that i could easily have removed the large ball bearings. i can try and get a picture of this later today. so, now i am wondering if this indicates a problem and calls for replacement?

I have a new one in hand - ungreased, granted - but it is really, really tight. I can "pop" the inner piece to the edge, but no way the balls and other two pieces would come apart.

not conclusive...but the last entry in the linked post talks on having the inner cv joint taken apart and put back together. i went ahead and broke mine down to its individual pieces and nothing looks bent, broken, worn badly or out-of-round(bearings). still going to check with the indy porsche guy tomorrow i think. thanks for your replies!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...;cv+joint\

Most CVs can be disassembled, but there is usually no reason to do so unless the car was driven an extended period with a bad boot, thus contaminating the grease. If the CV is burned to a crisp, just replace it. If the joint is smooth and quiet, and the grease looks good, just repack with grease and put the new boot on.