Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket stereos?

Looking at stereos to put in at best buy and based on their fit guide nothing fits the Boxster. Can you buy like an install kit to make it fit? I've seen people with pics of aftermarket dvd/cd nav system screens in their cars and I'm going to do something like this soon.

Any single DIN aftermarket stereo will fit in a boxster. Check out the Crutchfield.com site. It will allow you to put in your car and will give you many more options compared to Best Buy. Also, the prices are better. You can also pay for installation at an approved site near where you live, which will also be less expensive and generally have people with more experience. You can purchase a single DIN DVD or Nav system that is motorized. If you want at larger screen, you can purchase an installation kit. You will have to move your AC controls. Check Ebaymotors and search for a double DIN installation kit. Cost about $170.00.

good luck

I had installed a Pioneer Avic 910 which is a double Din unit that includes Bluetooth for the phone, SD card, Sirius hookup and voice recogintion.. I had the AC controls moved to the bottom , cd holder removed and left the cubby space above the AC. I had originally placed the Pioneer at the bottom but the glare was to bad to be useful. If you catch a prior Avic unit you can find them in the $600 range. It's a relatively easy install at a good shop "not" best buy.

Any single DIN aftermarket stereo will fit in a boxster. Check out the Crutchfield.com site. It will allow you to put in your car and will give you many more options compared to Best Buy. Also, the prices are better. You can also pay for installation at an approved site near where you live, which will also be less expensive and generally have people with more experience. You can purchase a single DIN DVD or Nav system that is motorized. If you want at larger screen, you can purchase an installation kit. You will have to move your AC controls. Check Ebaymotors and search for a double DIN installation kit. Cost about $170.00.

good luck

Wait just the kit is 170 w/o the actual stereo???!! ****...and yeah I noticed the climate control unit would have to go down below but thats no bother. I just want a decent sized screen in my Boxster with mp3 connectivity and dvd/cd as well. Navigation would be nice even though I have a standalone gps.

I'm not sure what year your car is but that could be *why* Best Buy told you it wouldn't fit. Crutchfield might give you the same result depending on your year. My MY'03 (CDR 23) showed as compatible on Crutchfield but when I received the kit it didn't work since I had the Bose option and it uses fiber optic connectors between the amp and stereo. When I called them, they told my their database only showed fiber optic in the MY'04 so turned out to be a slight problem.

Bottom line is you can still use any stereo and just bypass the fiber optic if yours is so equipped. The other thing to remember is the stereo wiring. The fiber optic doesn't have speaker wire at the head unit so will involve splicing into the stock wiring and (if you're adding an amp) running additional wiring from the trunk into the cabin. You may also have lower impedance speakers so need to ensure your stereo will properly support them. (Most stereos are made for 4Ohm speakers where the Boxster uses much lower.)