Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Well, my 06 TTS has a bad front left wheel bearing. Anyone have any experience changing this? I plan to do it myself and am looking for advice.

I have seen bearing kits that includes replacement bolts - i think i will get one of those.

All comments welcome.

Thanks

2GOFAST

I had the right rear wheel bearing go bad on my 2006 CS at approx 94K miles. This job is pretty difficult for the average DIY to accomplish as you will need to drop the front end out and use a press to remove the bearing. These bearings cannot be repacked and must be completely replaced. Most places are going to quote you at least 4-5 hours of work. I would suggest getting the bearing kit that includes a bearing made by F.A.G. the bolts the rose axel nut and the retaining clip. You will also need to do a realignment when the job is completed as this tends to screw with the alignment.

Get this replaced ASAP, you never know when those things might blow.

I got my replacement kit from Vertex Auto, it was priced very good when I bought it. I think around $100US

Edited by Scarpoolla

$1,500 later at the mechanic... but it took them a while to figure out what the problem was. Be careful when you get these replaced... evidently in the Cayene one side of the car's bearings is magnetic and the other isn't... on my car the wrong bearings (I'm told) caused an ABS failure where the wheel speed sensor wasn't picking up the movement properly... and diagnosing it was a hassle.

Thanks for the comments. I am having an indie do the repair. The hassel of taking the parts to a shop to have the bearing pressed out and then in relative to the lost cost (2-2.5 hours of labor) for the repair just does not justify me doing it myself - this time.

If I were not so busy, would definetly do it myself. Don't think it is that complicated.

Magnetic side info - thanks that is what my repair manual indicates also.

2GOFAST