Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof stuck waiting for clamshell

I was just fixing something else and now my roof is broken (good opener huh)

The top was in service position, hood half closed, clamshell fully opened. I did my stuff, then went to close the hood, but the roof was in the mood to open first. I thought OK let it go through its cycle...but it paused for a couple of seconds after about 2 inches of opening, then paused again when it got to its highest point, then moved another 2 inches and totally stopped in a Z position. Clamshell never moved at all. Went through trying to open/close few times but it wouldn't get past the Z position when opening and the clamshell remained in the fully "open" position. When closing the roof the hook would latch on and pull the roof down no problem, but the windows (I think) were waiting for the clamshell, hence they didn't all start closing like they normally did.

After getting bored I gave the clamshell a good hard shake then tried the switch. The roof opened fully and the clamshell closed over it!

When I tried to shut it again got the flashing red light and nothing budged. My hunch was that everything else was functioning but was waiting for the clamshell to do its bit. Confirmed this by going in for the emergency operation (of the roof that is). When I helped the clamshell along to the right position manually the next bits would happen as expected electrically.

I do have an extended warranty but the car can't go in to the OPC for over a week - and this is probably the last sunny weekend in Britain for the year!

I read Izzy's hyraulic fluid fix and about the various threads about switches/lights. I'm thinking the drive to the clamshell is buggered (technical term).

Any ideas guys?

Hello,

I will keep you posted. I will be taking car to dealer this next week hopefully. I was out of town for a while thus did not do it yet. I have an extended warranty from GE Capital, and I am curious to find out what covers if anything at all. Probably only the top motor. Again, I will share what I find out.

Hello,

I will keep you posted. I will be taking car to dealer this next week hopefully. I was out of town for a while thus did not do it yet. I have an extended warranty from GE Capital, and I am curious to find out what covers if anything at all. Probably only the top motor. Again, I will share what I find out.

Hi CabC2. It's worth trying what I did before going to the dealer. If it turns out not to be a warranty issue they will charge $$$ you regardless....

With the engine off so you can hear, try to operate the roof by holding the button down constantly. If we have the same problem, you will eventually be able to hear clicking relays and the clamshell motor spinning for a few seconds but obviously not moving the clamshell.

If that is the case here's how mine started working again. I fully opened the roof, helping the clamshell along with the emergency (see manual for procedure) hex tool (anti clockwise to open), this allowed the roof to open fully electrically, then I closed the clamshell (clockwise with the hex tool).

Then you need someone to push the clamshell down while you rotate the hex key another turn clockwise for it to lock in place (3 hooks grab the clamshell - you can see them when it's raised - one at the back and one either side). You do need to apply substantial force to do this. I wore down my hex tool as they have soft heads but luckily had alternative tools in the garage! However with the better tool I was able to turn the spindle further and found some free play BEYOND what I though was the final position. There was another 2 turns or so clockwise. I thought to try the roof from the button at that point. It worked fully and has done ever since.

A fair assumption is that the clamshell motor was out of sync, hence the rest of the process was stuck indeed waiting for the clamshell! Not sure the diagnostic work or the fix would be covered under warranty although I would certainly view it as a mechanical failure!

I will also be following Izzy's excellent hydraulic fluid top up instructions.

Good luck!

Edited by WeekendWonder

I see. What I have not done is fully lock the clamshell into place. Interesting. I'll try it just in case. Engines work I think because I hear engine noises when each part is supposed to work. The two lateral flaps do not react/work either. And, the windows go down all the time instead of up or down depending on whether I am closing or opening the top. But I'll give it a try. Tx :P

Hello,

Hi CabC2. It's worth trying what I did before going to the dealer. If it turns out not to be a warranty issue they will charge $$$ you regardless....

With the engine off so you can hear, try to operate the roof by holding the button down constantly. If we have the same problem, you will eventually be able to hear clicking relays and the clamshell motor spinning for a few seconds but obviously not moving the clamshell.

If that is the case here's how mine started working again. I fully opened the roof, helping the clamshell along with the emergency (see manual for procedure) hex tool (anti clockwise to open), this allowed the roof to open fully electrically, then I closed the clamshell (clockwise with the hex tool).

Then you need someone to push the clamshell down while you rotate the hex key another turn clockwise for it to lock in place (3 hooks grab the clamshell - you can see them when it's raised - one at the back and one either side). You do need to apply substantial force to do this. I wore down my hex tool as they have soft heads but luckily had alternative tools in the garage! However with the better tool I was able to turn the spindle further and found some free play BEYOND what I though was the final position. There was another 2 turns or so clockwise. I thought to try the roof from the button at that point. It worked fully and has done ever since.

A fair assumption is that the clamshell motor was out of sync, hence the rest of the process was stuck indeed waiting for the clamshell! Not sure the diagnostic work or the fix would be covered under warranty although I would certainly view it as a mechanical failure!

I will also be following Izzy's excellent hydraulic fluid top up instructions.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I had time to try it. I tried to close the clamshell all the way as suggested. I found out that even forcing the hex wrench it did not move. I did not try to force with any other tool than the provided that does not allow for good leverage. What do you mean with "substantial force"? I am afraid of trying too hard to close those three hooks and damaging the mechanism. On the other hand, I have a feeling that you really mean to apply force until it moves period.

Finally I had time to try it. I tried to close the clamshell all the way as suggested. I found out that even forcing the hex wrench it did not move. I did not try to force with any other tool than the provided that does not allow for good leverage. What do you mean with "substantial force"? I am afraid of trying too hard to close those three hooks and damaging the mechanism. On the other hand, I have a feeling that you really mean to apply force until it moves period.

Hi CabC2

Don't do anything that doesn't feel right to you as you have to foot the bill if it all goes t1ts up!

It's probably impossible to latch the 3 hooks all the way without someone pushing down on the clamshell at the same time as you spin the hex tool.

I would not try to force it without someone applying downward pressure over the hooks.

Let's check if your issue is the same as mine was though.

1) Can you hear/feel the clamshell motor spining (ineffectively) when you try to operate from the switch? - answering yes suggests it is the sync issue.

2) Does the rest of the hood open/close process work electrically if you manually move the clamshell with the hex tool?

Edited by WeekendWonder

Yes, the engine spins. That's why I think is a sync problem. BUT!, looking at it again today, I realized that one of the metallic arms that push and pull the clamshell is snapped in two! I realized when I was looking for the hooks today. So, at this point I have to take care of that issue for sure. Maybe it is time to go to the shop uh :)

Thanks for your help though.

Hi CabC2

Don't do anything that doesn't feel right to you as you have to foot the bill if it all goes t1ts up!

It's probably impossible to latch the 3 hooks all the way without someone pushing down on the clamshell at the same time as you spin the hex tool.

I would not try to force it without someone applying downward pressure over the hooks.

1) Can you hear/feel the clamshell motor spining (ineffectively) when you try to operate from the switch? - answering yes suggests it is the sync issue.

2) Does the rest of the hood open/close process work electrically if you manually move the clamshell with the hex tool?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the engine spins. That's why I think is a sync problem. BUT!, looking at it again today, I realized that one of the metallic arms that push and pull the clamshell is snapped in two! I realized when I was looking for the hooks today. So, at this point I have to take care of that issue for sure. Maybe it is time to go to the shop uh :)

Thanks for your help though.

Hi CabC2

Let us know how it goes.