Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Timing Belt Replacement

Recently the Northern New Jersey Porsche club sponsered a discussion on routine basics for Boxsters which I was unable to make. One topic was when to replace the timing belt. I have not been able to find anything on the Search Engine here and was wondering when one should replace the belt. Is it driven by mileage or time? Thanks

The Boxster doesn't have a timing belt- it utilizes a timing chain, and you're not going to have to replace that. What you do need to change is the polyrib serpentine belt which operates the engine's accessories like the water pump, a/c, alternator, etc. Porsche recommends changing this belt at the 60K mile service interval. It's a very simple and straight forward procedure. Here are the instructions: http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Blog/B600...7809/index.html

The Boxster doesn't have a timing belt- it utilizes a timing chain, and you're not going to have to replace that. What you do need to change is the polyrib serpentine belt which operates the engine's accessories like the water pump, a/c, alternator, etc. Porsche recommends changing this belt at the 60K mile service interval. It's a very simple and straight forward procedure. Here are the instructions: http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Blog/B600...7809/index.html

Thanks, Good News! :)

all depends on the oil change intervals,

over heating history, carbon, operation RPM's, how driven

during warm-up, ...............all factor

The gas engined (those with 2-row timing chains) Mercedes-Benz,Porsche

can last up to 150 -200 K miles given carefull driving and

maintenence.The Diesel motor encounter a huge amount of vibration, shock loads on the timing chain and their chain timing can be 'off' at 100K miles even under good conditions.

Timing chains are, for the most part, lifetime items. While it is possible for them to fail, they are pretty much maintenance free. Tensioners can sometimes go bad past 100K.

But it does happen! some of the babbler;s post-

own a very well cared for boxster that just yesterday dropped the primary timing chain as I was backing out of my garage!! My 2000 has 58K miles.

The independent shop that I use for ALL service says it's about a $14K fix, as Porsche requires a full replace/ exchange crate motor. I'm not interested in salvage motors but want to ask if any of you have 1st hand or direct knowledge of this being the case and is the cost in the normal range.

Hi, Back in January, my 2002 Boxster suddenly slowed 70+ to a stop. Trying to start it brought popping. I limped to a service area and filled up. Trying to re-start started a fire under the engine. The technician told me to put in an

insurance claim for fire. The insurance agreed to replace all burnt parts. The technician did so then on starting the car found one bank of cylinders not running. Now its either a $4000 valve job or a nearly $8000 replacement engine with a 2 yr warranty.

Recently the Northern New Jersey Porsche club sponsered a discussion on routine basics for Boxsters which I was unable to make. One topic was when to replace the timing belt. I have not been able to find anything on the Search Engine here and was wondering when one should replace the belt. Is it driven by mileage or time? Thanks
Edited by juniinc