Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How To Track A Porsche Cayenne S?

Hey guys,

What do I need to do to track a Porsche Cayenne S? I have the built in GPS and I have a phone but it has no SIM in it.

Is it possible to track or do I need to buy a special GPS unit? I also heard that I can track it via the phone but I need a SIM for that and a website to register?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

To only use your OEM materials (PCM, et al) you'll need to tear-up a lot of your Cayenne to make it work and it will cost a fortune.

The best and fastest way is to add a device to your Cayenne (or any vehicle).

One example is people purchase and hide an iPhone in their vehicle and they track the iPhone via the Apple online tracking tool. It's easy to hide an iPhone and power it -- fuse to low-yield USB. Attached is an example of what the tracking looks like -- my iPhone is not hidden, it's just always in the vehicle, but I can place it under a rug. And if I wanted to hide it in the Cayenne I easily could, I pulled the bottom of the dash above the passenger foot well and there is space, power and reception. You'll be leveraging the cell signal which in the iPhone's case also ties to GPS. You can track the iPhone from any web browser. The attached screen shot is taken from my browser at work. It's pretty cool, you can see the iPhone (if it's in a vehicle) move around. An you can track up to ten iPhones at the same time. If you know how to handle .xml feeds you can build reporting and alerting based on rules you create for where the iPhone goes, time of day, etc.

The iPhone solution is the cheapest and easiest method -- other proprietary devices exist but they are pricey. Search Google for fleet management and tracking devices.

Or, for basic monitoring (audio) this is excellent: http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.19634

I use one with a pre-paid SIM and it is very, very cool. You basically call your pre-paid SIM number, the device silently answers and you listen to whatever is going on around the device. In fact I bought one for a one-use project knowing that I'd never be able to retrieve it. Just be sure to purchase your SIM cards with cash.

The usual disclaimer exits for all these tips -- follow your local laws, etc.

post-41432-127474110768_thumb.jpg

Edited by odix

Thank you so much sir! and to this wonderful community!

This is an awesome idea! I have an extra iPhone I am not using which suits this perfectly!

Thank you for your time odix! and hats down to you sir!

• 5 months later...

To only use your OEM materials (PCM, et al) you'll need to tear-up a lot of your Cayenne to make it work and it will cost a fortune.

The best and fastest way is to add a device to your Cayenne (or any vehicle).

One example is people purchase and hide an iPhone in their vehicle and they track the iPhone via the Apple online tracking tool. It's easy to hide an iPhone and power it -- fuse to low-yield USB. Attached is an example of what the tracking looks like -- my iPhone is not hidden, it's just always in the vehicle, but I can place it under a rug. And if I wanted to hide it in the Cayenne I easily could, I pulled the bottom of the dash above the passenger foot well and there is space, power and reception. You'll be leveraging the cell signal which in the iPhone's case also ties to GPS. You can track the iPhone from any web browser. The attached screen shot is taken from my browser at work. It's pretty cool, you can see the iPhone (if it's in a vehicle) move around. An you can track up to ten iPhones at the same time. If you know how to handle .xml feeds you can build reporting and alerting based on rules you create for where the iPhone goes, time of day, etc.

The iPhone solution is the cheapest and easiest method -- other proprietary devices exist but they are pricey. Search Google for fleet management and tracking devices.

Or, for basic monitoring (audio) this is excellent: http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.19634

I use one with a pre-paid SIM and it is very, very cool. You basically call your pre-paid SIM number, the device silently answers and you listen to whatever is going on around the device. In fact I bought one for a one-use project knowing that I'd never be able to retrieve it. Just be sure to purchase your SIM cards with cash.

The usual disclaimer exits for all these tips -- follow your local laws, etc.

You say that there is a space below the glove box where there is power and space. I'm looking to do something similar with a zoombak device. I want to hardwire it to switched power. Is the power location you are referring to switched. Any pictures?

Thanks!

Hi -- the wiring for the two power sockets above the left (facing forward) front passenger foot well under the dash can easily be accessed.

For pix and info search here for, "changing pollen filter" and you'll see the details. I changed my filter and from what I recall all it required was one torx bit (size 20?) and a 5.5mm allen head to pop the lower dash section. Once that section is off the wiring is all there, easy to access, next to the pollen filter housing. One of the two power sockets may be switched -- you can test them both prior to pulling the lower dash section to determine if yes/no switched.

The fastest method (but not the most elegant ) is to use the wiring above one of the power sockets to power your Zoombak. It would render the socket useless -- but there are two sockets so at least one will remain operational for other uses. Or you can patch into the wiring and loop off a spur to power the device. Plenty of nooks and crannies in that area to physially house the Zoombak. A small Velcro strip should be fine to secure it.

Another solution -- and possibly better because it places the Zoombak higher up with less interference and physically closer to the outside which is what you want so the device can receive GPS signals and broadcast signals to cellular -- is to place your decvice (if it fits) in the sunglasses holder up between your visors above the windshield/rear-view mirror -- or Velcro it to the upper windshield -- just make sure it not blocked by the windshield thermal layers. For power you can leverage the Homelink wiring. That too is all covered here on Renntech.org -- search for, "homelink and radar detector" and it should show up.

Let us know how it goes!