Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AOS replacement tips

Not to ressurect an old thread, but here's the part number for the blue clip and spring clamp combo. Asked my dealer tech for it today as am preparing to do an AOS changeout, and know that access to those clamps can be a bear because it's so tight in there, so this tool should help out:

2rpg2gn.jpg

Edited by Boxtaboy

I think the beauty of that tool is that it works well in very tight spots because once that thing is on the clamp, it keeps it open. You can then maneuver the whole thing into the correct position and once you release the blue clip, the spring clamp tightens right at the spot you want it.

I think the beauty of that tool is that it works well in very tight spots because once that thing is on the clamp, it keeps it open. You can then maneuver the whole thing into the correct position and once you release the blue clip, the spring clamp tightens right at the spot you want it.

Problem there is that it's going to be just as much of a ***** to remove as it was before; the blue tool won't help you there. I like worm-gear pipe clamps better for something like this.

Problem there is that it's going to be just as much of a ***** to remove as it was before; the blue tool won't help you there. I like worm-gear pipe clamps better for something like this.

Well, my friend helped me change out my AOS just this past weekend, and the little blue tool was useful in that you could put the spring clip (with the blue tool on it) over the lower bellows, and insert the whole AOS into position, and then just unclip the blue tool to compress the clamp. You are correct that when it comes time to remove the AOS for the next changeout, the blue clip is no use to remove the spring clamp...it only facilitates the easy installation of the clamp in tight spots. The good things are that it 1) costs only $1.75 (and comes with the spring clip from the parts counter, and 2) is reusable...a friend used pliers to insert the blue tool back on the used spring clip we removed from my original AOS. :)

My old AOS out:

2m4vd6u.jpg

Edited by Boxtaboy

• 3 months later...

Hello all..

I've been searching on replacing my AOS and I'm a bit confused on what parts are mandatory in replacing. :unsure: I've check out the Pelican parts website and it seems all parts are sold separately. Can anyone chime in and steer me in the right direction?? :help: I have a 02 S. Any help is appreciated!

Hello all..

I've been searching on replacing my AOS and I'm a bit confused on what parts are mandatory in replacing. :unsure: I've check out the Pelican parts website and it seems all parts are sold separately. Can anyone chime in and steer me in the right direction?? :help: I have a 02 S. Any help is appreciated!

You will need the Air Oil Separator (AOS) or sometimes referred as Crankcase ventalation. It is #8 in the photo below. The AOS comes with the bellows tube and is not visible in the drawing. You also will need the "J" tube which connects the AOS to the throttle body or TB. It is #5 below.

1ebdde02.jpg

Here is a shot of the bellows tube that comes with the AOS. The bellows is the short accordian like tube and attaches the AOS to an opening in the crank case.

IMG_0443.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

• 6 years later...

Did the AOS replacement on my 1999 986 yesterday. A set of hose clamp pliers is definitely necessary. Getting the bellows tube to detatch is quite tricky I ended up cutting it off with a ginsu knife. For reattchment I ended up putting the bellows on the car first then putting the top clamp in place by running the hose clamp pliers up the chasis and wiggling the AOS until it slid into place.