Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 C2 Tail light swap over to LED Tail light Tutorial

996 C2 Tail light swap over to LED Tail light Tutorial

A few simple steps to breeze through your tail light swap. I bought the smoked Taiwanese version. I hear there is a Chinese and a German version. I got my set from a seller on fleabay (ebay). I paid 375 with shipping. They were packaged very well, and undamaged upon opening. As described - no instructions. Some people will unplug their battery for any electrical work. I did not. A: Open Engine Hood You should see the one and only 10mm Bolt holding each tail light housing in place. R

• 4 months later...

I just completed installation of the made in Taiwan smoke led tail lights on my MY01 C4, and I wanted to share some information I hadn't seen elsewhere. I have also attached some photos: (1) before; (2) half and half; (3) & (4) after; (5) connection diagram for new tail light housing; (6) transparency problem; (7) - (9) truck door edge guard solution.

With respect to the small side marker bulb wire that has caused some to blow fuses, I just lined up the red wires on the male and female ends and plugged them together (photo 5). No blown fuses, hyperflash or ABS/PSM warning lights.

I had not seen a good diagram of how to hook up the the lights on the new tail light housing, so I have labelled how I hooked them up in photo 5 (note: top of photo is bottom of tail light housing). In a nutshell: (1) small side marker bulb wires (far left) plug into the corresponding wiring harness connectors (as others have commented, this does not get plugged back into the socket); (2) double light led leads connect to black brake/tail light harness sockets; (3) single light led leads connect to orange turn signal harness sockets; (4) existing reverse light sockets and bulbs are connected to the lower (top of photo) clear chamber; and (5) fog light sockets are connected to the upper (bottom of photo) clear chamber (I used the amber turn signal bulb for the fog light on the driver's side so it would not be confused with a reverse light).

After installing the new tail light housings, I discovered a design flaw: unlike the stock lenses, the aftermarket lenses (at least the smoke ones) are transparent at the edge. As a result you can see the unfinished edge of rear quarter panel and the tail light connecting grommet through the lenses (photo 6). After my initial disappointment, I started to think about a solution since I really liked the lenses otherwise. Initially, I thought about using lens tint spray to darken the edges. Given the limited space to work for proper taping, the fact that the surface is grooved, and that this solution would be non-reversible, I decided to use a different approach.

Door edge molding to the rescue (photos 7-9). Applying black rubber door edge molding to the unfinished edge under the lenses provides a finished look and hides the transition from the body to the lenses. This was a relatively easy fix, and I am pleased with the result.

Overall, I really like the look and functionality of the new tail lights.

post-82817-0-18764800-1354449673_thumb.j

post-82817-0-06383000-1354449720_thumb.j

post-82817-0-33987000-1354449821_thumb.j

post-82817-0-63131900-1354449908_thumb.j

post-82817-0-66975100-1354450110_thumb.j

post-82817-0-67744900-1354450648_thumb.j

post-82817-0-79019900-1354451383_thumb.j

post-82817-0-14596600-1354451419_thumb.j

post-82817-0-02673700-1354451440_thumb.j

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...