Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help! Boxster Top Broken!

Have a question for all the porsche masters out there....my soft top broke and i need help getting it back and running... here's what happened.... after driving 6 hours from san fran to la i decided to put the top down.. i go and lower the top and i suddenly hear a pop from behind the drivers seat so i immediately stop pushing the button.. i go to look at it and the top looks cockeyed meaning that the left side was totally crocked compared to the right i try raising the top and not problem so i try to lower it again which it does but the left side doesn't seem to want to slide in under the clam shell on the left... look at the right clam shell and it seems to be out more vs the left... have a buddy put the top up slowly and then have him lower the top slowly as i watch it and again the left is jamming against the clamshell i go ahead and pull the clamshell out toward the rear of the car and the top folds in like normal underneath the clam shell... don't think it was the motor since the top moved up and down....i'm thinking its probably cable but if it were the cable then the top shouldn't be able to move up and down right.. i'm sure it has something to do with the clam shell what parts are associated with it moving up/down and back.... i think that's what broke....currently its in the down position as i am scarred to put it back up.... can i put it back up with the switch or just do it manually.... any help would be great...sorry if its too long... mike :huh:

• Moderators

One side is operating and the other side is not. That is why things look cockeyed. This could be for several reasons. The only way to know for sure is to inspect the car. I contacted Mark and he said he would look at your car to determine what parts need to be replaced. I suggest that you not operate the top with the switch until fixed as it will just cause damage. You should go to the manual mode if you need to open and close the top.

hi Mike,

sorry to hear about your top problem. what you need to realize is that 99% of top problems are exactly the same. so if you read ANY of the posts in this forum, you will know what is wrong with your top.

i can tell you right now that it's the conv top cables. you may have also broken the conv top push rods as a result. there is a thread called Conv Top R&R in this forum. it explains how to repair or replace your cables as well as how to disconnect the top so that you can open/close it manually. you should have a look.

Edited by Chris_in_NH