Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

faint buzz or whistling sound

I've a 2000 Boxster w/ 45k mi, that's making an intermittent low-pitched monotone hum or buzzing sound that I need to ID.

At first it was very faint, sounding like a bad wheel bearing humming. It would come and go and did not change tone, etc w/ changes in engine/vehicle speed. Now its louder although still faint -- and still sounds like bad wheel bearings I've heard. Porsche mechanic said that's not it, but I'm not convinced he heard it. Anyhow, it sounds like it could be coming from the front or right side of the car, which has me thinking i'ts a radiator fan. But, it could be coming from the right air vent i.e., engine compartment. I can't get it to happen when the car is parked, of course. (And I'm deaf in my left ear so the **** sound could be coming from anyplace ....). No helpful CEL codes.

Many Thanks

Oh man, one of you must have an opinion on this -- noise is driving me nuts. New info: it seems lifting off the accelerater will cause the sound to stop. Applying brakes or the clutch makes no difference.

• Moderators

Lifting off the accelerator will cause the sound to stop - i think that it is more engine related than chassis related, check the front engine mount, they go's bad. The silent bloc have to be straight in the middle of the mount. An other possibility is the aircon. compressor, they are noisy when the R134a ( gas ) is to low. You need 0,850 Kg. the noise starts approx. at 0,450 Kg while the aircon. will work normally.

Success.