Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Pad Replacement; I Think I Screwed Up

I changed the brake pads on my 2002 c2 coupe yesterday. But, I just realized that I didn't take the brown paper off of any of the vibration dampers to expose the adhesive (so they would stick to the back of the brake pads). :o I'm not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. I already drove it and have gotten the brakes pretty hot. I don't care about brake squeal and almost didn't install the vibration dampers at all.

But, is leaving the paper on there going to be a problem? Should I take the pads and dampers out and remove the paper, or is it too late? Has anyone else done this with no ill effects?

b-man

• Moderators
I can't believe that I'm the only one that has done this?

Maybe you are. :o

If they are not making noise then leave it as is unless you want to pull it apart again. The 2.5 and 2.7 Boxsters do not even have them. The 3.2 Boxster does and some people do not use them. It is just to reduct the chance of noise.

• 2 months later...
I am about to do a DIY brake job - and was wondering about these vibration pads.  How bad were the old ones?  Did you have to get new sensors and the pin/spring/clip kit or were the old ones re-usable?

Thanks

John

Regarding the "vibration pads", I think the old ones were reusable, as long as you use new adhesive. I did not pay too much attention to them because they are not a critical component.

Regarding the "pin/spring/clip kit", I did pay attention to these. I replaced them because I had already ordered the pieces. But, they are definitely reusabe and I will not be replacing them the next time.

FYI, the pads that I put on were slightly different than the ones I took off. The news ones were a direct factory Porsche part but, I guess they have been upgraded because they have little weights attached to them to help silence them (i.e., no squeal). I remember the part numbers were slightly different than the part numbers on Loren's DIY section. When I ordered all of my arts, I just gave the info to the guy and he knew what had new part #'s, how many I needed etc. I ordered all of my parts from Suncoast Porsche in Florida and was very happy with them.

b-man